free website stats program Spoke Truing | Harley Davidson Forums

Spoke Truing

franka

Getting ready to mount new front and rear tires and have some preventative maintainance questions. The bike is a 2007 Road King Classic with 43,000 miles. I have no issues with wheel balance, handling, loose spokes etc. but .........
1. Since I have the wheels off should I replace both wheel bearings? They are the original bearings.
2. Again no handling issues or loose spokes but is it wise to have the spokes trued due to mileage?

As long as the wheels & tires are off, I'd have the wheel put in the truing stand and checked. I also always checked the nipples on the inside to make sure there were no burrs or "long" spokes, and put new rim strips on. '07's had good wheel bearings, supposed to go 100K. Check 'em and decide.

Breeze has you covered while you have them off why not cover all the bases. Put your finger on the inside bore of the bearing and put some pressure down while you roll the inner race. Any roughness or sloppy play and I would replace.

With the bike being 9 years old with an unknown mileage, you didn't state it, I would change the bearings for peace of mind. I don't know about the 100k rule, I've always heard 50k.
But as others have stated get the spokes,trueness checked.
tourbox

Breeze has you covered while you have them off why not cover all the bases. Put your finger on the inside bore of the bearing and put some pressure down while you roll the inner race. Any roughness or sloppy play and I would replace.
Getting ready to mount new front and rear tires and have some preventative maintainance questions. The bike is a 2007 Road King Classic with 43,000 miles. I have no issues with wheel balance, handling, loose spokes etc. but .........
1. Since I have the wheels off should I replace both wheel bearings? They are the original bearings.
2. Again no handling issues or loose spokes but is it wise to have the spokes trued due to mileage?
Update.....Took wheels to Wheel Master in Auburn, WA. One man shop since 1974 and he does a great job, former tool maker for Boeing. Spokes were in pretty good shape with just minor tuning, however, all five bearings were bad with 44K miles on them. Mounted new tires as well and while wheels were gone I added new Lyndall pads which in my mind are well worth the extra buck, no brake dust!

Thanks for the update. I will be keeping an eye out for any signs of bearing failure on my bike.

Back