free website stats program Spoke Torque Wrench. Size?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Spoke Torque Wrench. Size??

66cruiser

Looking to get a spoke torque wrench, but can't seem to find the size I need for an '06 Street Bob. Anybody?

You can get a spoke wrench to work on the wheel that covers 1-6 MM nipples. Usually they aren't torques but are "tuned" according to the sound when you tap the spokes, they should be uniform in the ring you get when tapping on them. If you were building a wheel, it's difficult to torque the spokes because they would not all be "tight" at equal levels at the same time so torquing them would be difficult.

Just want to tighten all the spokes to the same tension. Every spoke now sings a different song & it seems to me that using a torque wrench properly would be the quickest, easiest & most accurate way to do it.

I agree with Hobit. I have had to replace all the spokes on my 10 speed bike, 3 time . Its a science , I was ok at doing it , but I always had to re-tighten the spokes after a hard ride. After much frustration I had the work done by a pro and never had a problem since.

Replacing a single spoke on a motorcycle or 10 speed is about the same. Its all about tapping the spokes . A run out dial indicator is also helpful.

I'm having trouble trying to understand this. I thought that all the spokes are torqued to a certain value at the factory. Is that not true? Why would it be wrong to use a torque wrench set at that value to periodically check & tighten them?

This may sound really dumb on my part but isn't it true that on a wheel, what you do on any given part afffects the rest of the wheel. So torqueing one spoke will have effect on all other spokes. Just a thought.......:D

Re: Spoke Torque Wrench. Size??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This may sound really dumb on my part but isn't it true that on a wheel, what you do on any given part afffects the rest of the wheel. So torqueing one spoke will have effect on all other spokes. Just a thought.......

When you tighen one spoke at a time, it effects the others and deforms the the rim slightly. The tendancy is then to tighen the other spokes to compensate. This further deforms the rim, which can make it out of round and increase rim side play. By tapping the spokes on either side, you are ensuring that the replacement spoke is neither to loose or to tight. If the tone is higher than its to tight and if its lower its to loose.

In the manufacturing process all spokes are tightened at the same time by a machine that appllies a specfic torque value all at once. This eliminates rim distortion.

Back