free website stats program Spokane Wa. to San Diego Ca. route | Harley Davidson Forums

Spokane Wa. to San Diego Ca. route

joel

We are riding from Spokane to San Diego mid June and thinking of highway 395 south to 15 in ca. and in to San Diego. My ? is about temp. Is 1 route hotter than the other? My other option is 95 to Boise, 84 to Twin Falls s. on 93 to Las Vegas on to 95 to Yuma on to 8 west to San Diego. I have taken highway 5 before and found it very boring. Both these routes will take longer than on a major freeway but we want to see more than someones bumper for 2 1/2days.

have you ever gone through Montana? you head to Butte and then go south on I-15 through Vegas. You can stay on 15 or get off anywhere. There's lots of side roads that way too. I know you wouldn't think so but it's actually about the same distance as going down I-5

I can't give you a route that's better than any other. Only thing I can add is that it's many small side trips that interest me. I'll head for any of the scenic routes and go out of my way to ride them.

There are a lot of scenic byways throughout Oregon.

You should strongly consider the California coast. It is a mix of beach and mountain ranges. Hwy 1 is a great ride all the way down to San Diego. it is a slow ride, but you pass through some nice beach towns/cities.

I am planning a ride from Los Angeles up to Big Sur (N.California) not as long as your ride, but it is mostly on HWy 1....

I'm from Sokane too, and years ago we took a camping trip to San Fran. and went down hyw 1. Great trip for the for the veiws of ocean and little tourist towns. That is one of my future plans on the bike. The climate is mostly the same all the way just a little wetter than a inland route from the marine influence. Enjoy the ride.

We have 2 and maybe 1/2 days to get there do to my nephue is graduating on thursday afternoon, so once in Biggs Oregon we will go s. on 97 down to I-5. We have family in Sacramento and Saratoga. At Bakersfield we will head east on 58 over to 15 than down to San Diago to by pass LA. Our trip back will be up 395. Not sure what to expect on this part of the trip in Ca. but if anyone knows what to check out please feel free to let me know. I understand the Oregon lower half of 395 is boaring, so I'm thinking once in Oregon we get on hwy 31 and wiggle our way over to 97 up to Redmond and e. on 26. This route we know and is very nice, it does leed us back to 395 but the northern half of Oregon 395 is mostly mountains.

Sisters is a neat little town to check out, lots of art galleries and COOL (mostly western and native american) specialty shops.

From there, it's worth crossing the old Mckinzie pass to see the lava flow at the top of the mountain. It's like being on another planet! It's a twisty one for sure, I saw my tail light more then once on that road!:shock

There is much more to see in the central part of the state then the lower east side.
Unless you like wide open spaces with nothing in them.

We have 2 and maybe 1/2 days to get there do to my nephue is graduating on thursday afternoon, so once in Biggs Oregon we will go s. on 97 down to I-5. We have family in Sacramento and Saratoga. At Bakersfield we will head east on 58 over to 15 than down to San Diago to by pass LA. Our trip back will be up 395. Not sure what to expect on this part of the trip in Ca. but if anyone knows what to check out please feel free to let me know. I understand the Oregon lower half of 395 is boaring, so I'm thinking once in Oregon we get on hwy 31 and wiggle our way over to 97 up to Redmond and e. on 26. This route we know and is very nice, it does leed us back to 395 but the northern half of Oregon 395 is mostly mountains.

Have you looked into using Harley's Ride Planner? It has some good info and gives you idea's where there are gas stations. I use all the time to map out my rides.

I can't post links yet.. but it is under the Experience tab.

I started this last Aug. This is my planner, one pin for each city, town or scenic stop.
map2

Hey Clint it looks like that map could be mine. Makes me wonder if we crossed paths before. The S.E. 1/4 of Oregon I have not been in But I have been back and forth from top to bottom a few times and just wish it was closer to my front door. Each time we go down in to Oregon we try to find a different route. You have great waterfalls and hidden lakes that almost seem untoched.

Back