free website stats program splitting lanes | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

splitting lanes

I would say that a good percentage of drivers actually move over when they see me coming. I only do it safely at low speed when traffic backs up here in SoCal. If I feel uncomfortable with a car that appears pre-oocupied I don't. Almost 45 and I have two kids at home. I don't take unnecessary risks, but I have a race motor and like to keep it cool. Thats my excuse right now anyway.

It's a very common thing here in Cali for drivers to see M/C's splitting lanes. Most don't have a problem with it.....some always will, but the vast majority just go with it.

O.K. I never really thought it was a problem until April 30th. I was riding my wife to work on the sportbike. Traffic is very heavy from Hwy 17 offramp up Hwy 1 to the campus of UCSC. This was the last day I needed to ride her to work and it happened. I was splitting about 5-10 mph and as I watch the mirrors of drivers a bobtail truck driver decided he has 5 feet to move up/left and squeeze me. Well...I clipped a mirror of the vehicle left of this jerk and attempted to recover passing between cars and didn't make it. Smashed into the back of a BMW, my wife flew onto the car, bike bounced off a truck on the left and I am on the ground.

Screaming in pain on the ground, afraid that my hip replacement on the right leg that was smashed between the bike and car, is gonna cause me to lose my leg, I'm freakin. A few minutes and I remove my helmet, slowly/painfully get on my feet. (edit)!!!

To make a long story short. I am still off work, under doctors orders. No broken bones but have to have MRI on knee next week. My leg was a mess for over a month and still have problems. I am only (edit) that nobody got the lic.#/info. on the truck driver and of course that the accident is my fault. I have lane split on the Harley since, (the sportbike is sold and gone), and I have alot of anxiety when I do.

I am not sure how I feel about lane splitting since this has happened to me only once in 30 years and most folks move when they see/hear a biker coming, but this one (edit) with my head, for how long I don't know. I will for now only split when riding with my group. Tough subject...:bigsmiley31:I will not live in fear!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer, I'm glad you're okay for the most part. The thought of losing a limb is very scary. Hope you are well soon. Take care.

O.K. I never really thought it was a problem until April 30th. I was riding my wife to work on the sportbike. Traffic is very heavy from Hwy 17 offramp up Hwy 1 to the campus of UCSC. This was the last day I needed to ride her to work and it happened. I was splitting about 5-10 mph and as I watch the mirrors of drivers a bobtail truck driver decided he has 5 feet to move up/left and squeeze me. Well...I clipped a mirror of the vehicle left of this jerk and attempted to recover passing between cars and didn't make it. Smashed into the back of a BMW, my wife flew onto the car, bike bounced off a truck on the left and I am on the ground.

Screaming in pain on the ground, afraid that my hip replacement on the right leg that was smashed between the bike and car, is gonna cause me to lose my leg, I'm freakin. A few minutes and I remove my helmet, slowly/painfully get on my feet. (edit)!!!

To make a long story short. I am still off work, under doctors orders. No broken bones but have to have MRI on knee next week. My leg was a mess for over a month and still have problems. I am only (edit) that nobody got the lic.#/info. on the truck driver and of course that the accident is my fault. I have lane split on the Harley since, (the sportbike is sold and gone), and I have alot of anxiety when I do.

I am not sure how I feel about lane splitting since this has happened to me only once in 30 years and most folks move when they see/hear a biker coming, but this one (edit) with my head, for how long I don't know. I will for now only split when riding with my group. Tough subject...:bigsmiley31:I will not live in fear!!
I used no cuss words in my post. Why all the (EDIT)'s? Give me a break. Are we bikers or the sin police?

I used no cuss words in my post. Why all the (EDIT)'s? Give me a break. Are we bikers or the sin police?

If you read the rules that you were supposed to read when you joined (and checked the box that you did read them), you'll find that certain words and profanity are not allowed on the forum. Any time there are objectionable words used, they will be edited. If the edits are too many for any particular user, they are notified and if it continues, they will be removed from our members list.

That's not too hard to understand or comprehend.

When you are in somebody else's house, you play by their rules!

Just in case you weren't able to find the rules, I'll post the ones that pertain to the (edit) for you.

5. No Offensive Posts, Links or Images:
Please do not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, racist, sexist, discriminatory, or otherwise violative of any local or international laws. This includes links in your signature, profile, bookmarks as well as posted images, photos and avatars. Staff will ultimately decide if something is appropriate or not.

18.You may not post words or URLs that are censored by adding spaces, dots, or substituting characters; or by any other means in an attempt to defeat any censors put in place by HD Talking.

Which pertain to what you posted that was removed..... "but this one jerk f___d with my head."

Last edited:
Not legal here...
But I have been known to split lanes every now and then.
The cagers trying to kill me radar, goes ballistic!!!:bigsmiley31:

Back