free website stats program splitting lanes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

splitting lanes

Up my way, there's never enough traffic to bother. Of course, SoCal has the advantage of year-round biking weather! I have to run my Wrangler until the snow melts. It's pretty fun though, as cages go. :D

On the congested road in Holland, when traffic has yet again come to a (near) standstill the law allows bikes to go in between the fast and second fast lane as long as the speed of cars is below about 30 mph. Better still, by that same law the cars in the mentioned lanes have to move over in their lanes and so make room for bikes to go past and are not allowed to shift lanes when a bike passes.

ermm i lane split period in traffic, over here its called filtering and you can get marks on your test if you do not filter in heavy traffic to make good progress, its second nature over here

Hobbit..I hate to admit this ,but in the US our drivers ain't that courtesy. In fact I think a lot of them not all mind ya but a lot would do there best to make it hard to do "filter"..with their ears to a cell phone and the ungodly noise of the boom boom music ..shoot they wouldn't even know your there. Last week we took a ride and while sitting at a intersection...this guy just flips his cigarette out the window with out looking and hit one of the ladies with it...Needless to say when we gave a yell to him...the idiot went threw the light...guess he thought us old folks were gonna kill em er sumthing...Hmmm never thought of it at the time but....naw we would not have...lol

i get cigarette butts thrown from windows also its not nice when it hits and fall in your lap, revenge is sweet when you get to throw it back as they left the window wide open :D
Now, that would be worth watching. Can picture the panic. Bit like catching a life handgranate

you only get to see the panic from the mirrors as you are busy pulling away and laughing:D
best ones to look for are those on the phone with a cup of coffee quietly slip along side, hard with open pipes but it can be done then nail the sucker - coffee = lap, phone = lap = wet driver and ruined phone and they have to try and explain to the boss what the loud noise was and why they got cut off - not that i have ever done this or condone it:bigsmiley6:

yeah righttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt !:bigsmiley12:

I lived in SoCal until 1993. Sometime in the early 80's, riders in the state petitioned the legislature to be able to ride between lanes. Rationale was that if the bike cops could, why couldn't they? Had lots of 'experiences' doing this. I had cars on both sides close up on me to my handlebars. One pushed my footpeg up. Soon as I got a hole, WHAM!!, I was gone. I took a mirror in the helmet once. Left a nice skid mark. Took one of those old style long, skinny truck mirrors in the shoulder that just about took me off the bike. From time to time, I would slowly pace ladies in their cars. We would shoot the bull. Some of them aren't bashful, if you know what I mean. :s Rolling along slowly in a car and having a crotch rocket come by you at 60 mph is unnerving. The older I get, the fewer chances I'm willing to take. Especially if I don't have to. I made it this far. I'm not ready to check out just yet.

In Texas there is no law against splitting lanes, I have done it occasionaly and then afterwards thought it was risky, but a rush! What's your opinion on splitting lanes:bigsmiley24:

In Ontario they call it Lane sharring and it will land you a ticket if caught but I don't share with anything bigger than me.

Wouldn't even think of doin it in or around Mass. I've done it plenty, but you take your life in your hands, they'll run you down, or clip you if they can. Keep in mind, not everybody like bikers. 10 minutes on a commute, can take 40 years off your life. Makes smoking sound healthy huh.

I do it on a daily basis. Here in the L.A area you get nowhere without it. I might as well sit in a car and listen to the radio with the air conditioning on if I don't lane split. I've been doing it for many years and so far so good.

I hope I just didn't jinx myself:bigsmiley21:

Only suggested for old men who feel like they have lived full lives. How much do YOU trust some bozo in a car/truck when you are in traffic? After 42 years on bikes I always assume every drive I encounter is TRYING to kill me.

Back