free website stats program Spitting | Harley Davidson Forums

Spitting

gunnut

HEY OUT THERE IN HARLEY LAND,MY 96 FXDWG HAS BEGUN TO "SPIT" BACK,ITS ONLY OCCASIONAL,LIKE WHEN I GIVE IT A LITTLE TWIST BETWEEN GEARS ON THE CHANGE DOW.Is this a mixture problem,or the beginnings of a trip to the mechanic??

Well, all I can say is that the 97 Dyna Wide that I have is a cold blooded bike. It's spits and sputters when the engine is cold then gets to being a smooth bike once it's warmed up. This is where the choke comes in handy when starting.

Also, it does what you are describing in cold weather occasionally. I'm thinking it's just a jetting issue, but I wouldn't count out a leak in the intake if you haven't changed that out since new.
Ugly John

Before you do any thing else to it check for a small exhaust leak at the heads and down the pipe when its cold the hot air running over the cold will create a pop when shifting mine did it due to a joint on the pipe,jel

My knowledge this way is geared to small block chevys where if you find no intake leak I would look towards the timing chain stretching as the syptom is the same In the case of an Hd cam chain or nylon tensioners wearing would be my guess.

My knowledge this way is geared to small block chevys where if you find no intake leak I would look towards the timing chain stretching as the syptom is the same In the case of an Hd cam chain or nylon tensioners wearing would be my guess.

Only it' a 1996 EVO motor that has a gear driven cam.:s

HEY OUT THERE IN HARLEY LAND,MY 96 FXDWG HAS BEGUN TO "SPIT" BACK,ITS ONLY OCCASIONAL,LIKE WHEN I GIVE IT A LITTLE TWIST BETWEEN GEARS ON THE CHANGE DOW.Is this a mixture problem,or the beginnings of a trip to the mechanic??

just started and only occasionally?? --- have you changed fuel brands or octane?

Back