free website stats program spitting and spuddering | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

spitting and spuddering

My vote is for the fuel line inside the tank also.

I had replaced the plastic one with a high pressure fuel injected line from an auto parts store but it wasn't the SAE J30R10 grade for internal use. It developed a hole and had symptoms exactly like you are describing. It would spit and backfire at anything below 2700-3000 rpm. It would idle ok but not anything else.It did not throw any codes either. I ended up replacing it with another plastic line but I split the old plastic line and covered the new line where the old one had developed the original hole. Here is the link where I ordered the fuel line from.

Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more

They have both the plastic and the SAE J30R10 available. The SAE J30R10 is $20 per foot or the plastic line is $3 for the short piece and $5 for the long piece you will need to replace.

While you are inside the tank go ahead and replace the fuel filter which is supposed to be serviced at 20,000 miles anyway. It will come with the shorter fuel line.

Randall

Thanks to all you guys for your help. Just so happen today the hospital where I work sent me to Rincon with some xrays and it was about 10 miles from the Savannah HD dealer. Picked up some plugs and will put them in before I go home today. Will drain gas if needed this afternoon when home. I usually put BP high octane in but mon. I was out where there was not one and used that cheap stuff but 93 oc.

This is probably not your problem, but a friend of mine pulled into a gas station with a group of us and after filling up we all took off. After 2 blocks his bike ran very bad spitting and sputtering at low speed when he turned the throttle up it ran better. We stopped at the next town and I gave him a new set of plugs. When we pulled the plugs I knew what was wrong, as I could smell the disel. He had filled the tank up with kero.:bigsmiley30:

Well guys , put new plugs in and not the problem. Finally made it home and drained gas and cranked it up to run all the gas out and let set over night. Will go home at lunch and put fresh gas in and see. If this don't work off to the HD dealer I go. Can't stand to have something at my house that don't work including people. And especially my toys.

You may want to remove the tank to thoroughly drain it out in case there is any water which will not pass through the system. A bit if dry gas will not hurt either when refilling it.

Most of the country has E10 gas so water in the gas is not a big issue as the e10 absorbs water up to a point then there is phase separation which is very very bad.

Drygas is nothing more than Pure Ethanol, do not add this to your bike if you are already putting in e10.

I did want to add one more thing and dont want to hijack this thread but, my 08 1200c has a similar issue that started when the dealer changed the Fuel pump module due to defective low oil light sender. After the changed pump it was discovered bike ran too lien and they took apart top end to verify if any internal damage and none found. They convinced me to purchase the Super TUner to replace the Stage one Download. Since this time the bike has had issues of stumbling when accelerating , hesitation, missing etc. Everytime i take it back they cant duplicate the symptoms but have agreed to listen to me since i proved them wrong in the past. Thus far they have retuned with the super tuner 3 times and replaced Map sensor. Still same thing. I checked all electrical connections, fuses and relays. Pulled Crank Position sensor to inspect and it looked fine, no cracks or hair on it. Anyhow I suspect the fuel pump moduel has issues regardless of their fuel pressure test showing proper prerssure. However I agreed to let them try easy stuff first, Next they will replace crank position sensor and if that is not it then the fuel pump assembly will be replaced. This whole ordeal started in march.

I had this happen to my bike last summer. I was riding along and it seemed to be sluggish and sputtering. I came to a stop sign and it stalled and wouldn't start properly. I ended up having to replace my air filter and plugs. Had an oil change and service done while I was at it and it worked fantastic after that.

It started to do the same thing this year and the fuel mileage was bad. Here in Canada, they have additives in the fuel for winterizing it and if a station doesn't go through their fuel fast, then you might get some and it isn't the best for the bike. I again changed my filter and plugs and stuck with the gas station I know goes through lots of fuel and it is back to normal again.

Good morning all.
And odd thing happen this morning while riding in to work.
About 2 mile from were I was going my bike started to spit and spudder back through the breather and would hardly run, and I was beginning to think I was not going to make it. As long as I would give it plent of gas it would take on off and seem to have plenty of power, but as soon as I let off it would go back to the same thing. Any suggestions here? Would it need a tune up or bad gas, and what does a tune up consist of on a 2005 rk with EFI other than spark plugs. And what would be the number off after market plugs I could use as I am about 65 miles from the nearest HD dealer?
Thanks for your help here.

Well guys it turned out to be some kind of fuel switch. Took it to Savannah HD where I have heard people say they would not take their bike but not heard why. They were very nice to me and timely and fixed it under waranty praise God.:D

Hope that gets you back in business, can you find out what it was that they did?
I have a feeling it had som debris in the tank that was passing through the system.

Thanks

Back