free website stats program spitting and spuddering | Harley Davidson Forums

spitting and spuddering

Good morning all.
And odd thing happen this morning while riding in to work.
About 2 mile from were I was going my bike started to spit and spudder back through the breather and would hardly run, and I was beginning to think I was not going to make it. As long as I would give it plent of gas it would take on off and seem to have plenty of power, but as soon as I let off it would go back to the same thing. Any suggestions here? Would it need a tune up or bad gas, and what does a tune up consist of on a 2005 rk with EFI other than spark plugs. And what would be the number off after market plugs I could use as I am about 65 miles from the nearest HD dealer?
Thanks for your help here.

Generally a tune up would be plugs, air filter (or clean if it is a K&H) and possibly an oil change.

Stick with the HD plugs if you can so you don't set any codes because of the ION sensing.

ION Sensing Explained - Harley Davidson Community

Depending on the miles on the bike it could require a fuel filter in the tank to be changed too.

Things you should look for is a bad tank of fuel, or the hose in the tank has worn through and the fuel pressure is low.

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community

Generally a tune up would be plugs, air filter (or clean if it is a K&H) and possibly an oil change.

Stick with the HD plugs if you can so you don't set any codes because of the ION sensing.

ION Sensing Explained - Harley Davidson Community

Depending on the miles on the bike it could require a fuel filter in the tank to be changed too.

Things you should look for is a bad tank of fuel, or the hose in the tank has worn through and the fuel pressure is low.

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community

Changed oil & air filter less than 2000 mi ago. The bike has 18000 mi on it. Never had a tune up.

I vote crank position sensor. Easy to replace and not that expensive. They can go bad with no code being thrown.

Other possibility is Clogged injector or bad gas.

This is exactly what happened to me. Turned out to be bad gas. I drained the tank, let it sit for a day, then put in a gallon of fresh high octane gas. It started right up and has been running fine every since.

I would highly recommend that you get that scoot tuned up. Glider is the man when it comes to these machines, I'd do anything he suggested. :majesty

Thanks to all you guys for your help. Just so happen today the hospital where I work sent me to Rincon with some xrays and it was about 10 miles from the Savannah HD dealer. Picked up some plugs and will put them in before I go home today. Will drain gas if needed this afternoon when home. I usually put BP high octane in but mon. I was out where there was not one and used that cheap stuff but 93 oc.

I think Glider was right on the money, but wouldn't rule out the bad gas either.I know I got a tank of bad gas one time and bike did everything but what it was supposed to do till I got some fresh gas.I was about 600 miles from home and needed gas and just jumped off freeway and pulled in first available station, it was a Kokolene station in Va Beach and had never used that brand of gas before and never will again.

This happened to me twice on my 2001 Fatboy. In both cases it turned out to be a pinhole in the plastic fuel line inside the tank. The fuel line has a tendency to rub on the inner tank on fuel injected motors. Hopefully, it's an easier fix. Good luck!

Back