free website stats program Spittin and Sputtering.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Spittin and Sputtering....

tlyoungb

Hi All,

I have a 2005 Electra Glide Standard with EFI. It is all stock. No mods of any kind. Bike runs like a champ, gets really good gas milage, and starts and idles ok.

Problem is, when I start riding thru the hood, and say shift into 2nd gear it sounds like the engine is missing hence the spitting and sputting. Now when I get to the stop sign and pull away it runs great. Other than the normal engine vibration at idle because of it begining rubber mounted, it runs great. Again, It is completely stock. Is this normal for an 05 with 29K on her? I purchased the bike used from a local dealership here. I got the 3 year extended warranty on it. If this is normal, I think I can live with it. Other wise is there something that I should be looking for? I did just change the spark plugs about 3000 miles ago.

Thanks,

Did it start shortly after the plug change? What type of plugs?

Were they gapped? Did you check the gap prior to installing?

If you check them out and find nothing, it could be a bad plug breaking down or even a plug wire from being handled.

Did it start shortly after the plug change? What type of plugs?

Were they gapped? Did you check the gap prior to installing?

If you check them out and find nothing, it could be a bad plug breaking down or even a plug wire from being handled.

Hi Glider,

They were the Champion plugs I got from a local motorcycle shop here in town that repairs HD. They do pretty good work. It did it before I changed the plugs, and yes. I did gap the plugs before installing them. This really has me baffled. It runs and cranks just like new. But when you start out say like 10 mph or 15 mph, she spitts and sputters. I can live with it, but I just think it should run smoother than that. I was thinking that the fuel filter might be getting clogged, but if it was...would it not be spitten and sputting at high speed also?

Hi Glider,

They were the Champion plugs I got from a local motorcycle shop here in town that repairs HD. They do pretty good work. It did it before I changed the plugs, and yes. I did gap the plugs before installing them. This really has me baffled. It runs and cranks just like new. But when you start out say like 10 mph or 15 mph, she spitts and sputters. I can live with it, but I just think it should run smoother than that. I was thinking that the fuel filter might be getting clogged, but if it was...would it not be spitten and sputting at high speed also?

You could have the dreaded pin hole in your fuel line in the tank. Also something I have run into is the pump is held in with metal tabs that work loose now and then and the result is that it seperates and exposes the oring allowing for pressurized fuel to escape. This is why you will experience a sputter at lower rpms. At higher rpms the pump is providing sufficient fuel but at lower rpm the escape of fuel is too great. Hope this makes sense.

You could have the dreaded pin hole in your fuel line in the tank. Also something I have run into is the pump is held in with metal tabs that work loose now and then and the result is that it seperates and exposes the oring allowing for pressurized fuel to escape. This is why you will experience a sputter at lower rpms. At higher rpms the pump is providing sufficient fuel but at lower rpm the escape of fuel is too great. Hope this makes sense.

Ok. That kinda makes sense. So I take it the fix is to remove the gas tank, and look at the holding tabs on the pump and to replace the fuel line? On a scale of 1 to 5. How difficult would this be for the average person, :bigsmiley22::bigsmiley22::bigsmiley22: or would it be best done by a dealer. I have removed fuel tanks before from my VTX 1300. Really easy to do. It was carb not EFI.

Last edited:
Ok. That kinda makes sense. So I take it the fix is to remove the gas tank, and look at the holding tabs on the pump and to replace the fuel line? On a scale of 1 to 5. How difficult would this be for the average "Don't Know it all" :bigsmiley22::bigsmiley22::bigsmiley22: Or would it be best done by a dealer. I have removed fuel tanks before from my VTX 1300. Really easy to do. It was carb not EFI.

Dealer --- Besides you paid for the 3 year warranty..

If that is the problem then let the dealer have at it. The level of difficulty is about a 2 on a scale of 5. The tank remains on the bike. The dash is removed to expose a tank panel held on with many screws (torx),which need to be loosened, then slowly lift the panel and look directly on the bottom side of the panel to find the pump and tabs mentioned in the other post. I normally turn on the ignition at this point to prime the pump and if there is seperation you will see fuel spraying or bubbles. If you don't see anything then close it up and take it to a dealer as it becomes tricky from this point to remove the pump and float level etc. I have had bikes come in where people have tried force and ended up bending their float resulting in failure and /or incorrect gauge readings.

You know I just thought of this. Yesterday evening after I got home from work. I let the bike cool down, and decided...Humm let me check to make sure that my spark plugs maybe didn't kinda need to be tighten or maybe regaped.

So I started to remove the rear plug, and noticed....hummm looks a little white to me. Kinda grayish in color actually. So I regaped the plug and put it back in the engine. Then I remove the front plug, and noticed the samething. It looked just like the rear plug. Then it just hit me.

Wow. I remember seeing a plug chart and how the colors of the plug could tell a story. I did notice that if the plug was kinda grayish in color almost white looking, means that the engine is running lean and getting hot.

Now I don't know if that could cause the spitting and sputting or not, but seems to me that it would indicate that it ain't getting enough fuel and could be the cause. Problem is. I don't have a fuel tuner or a Power Commander. The bike is completly stock. No modes of any kind. So how would you adjust for the lean mixture for a richer mixture? Take it to the dealer and let them remap it?

I purchased the bike used with an got the extended warranty. I would think that would be under warranty right?

If it's a running problem, they may cover it under warranty by changing the injectors to the 25* ones from the 8* that it may have now. You can look at the injector body ans it should be marked which you have now.There was a problem with lean mixtures causing running problems on some bikes and this was the cure that the factory covered under warranty.

The dealer download is still lean. If nothing else, I would add a TFI and adjust the fuel yourself.
Motorcycle Fuel Injection Kits and Electronic Fuel Injection Systems - EFI

Back