free website stats program spits and sputter | Harley Davidson Forums

spits and sputter

Game21

I have a 2004 FI fatboy that I recently changed handlebars on. I had to take the tank off to run the wires throught the bars. I put the tank back on and the bike starts and idles fine but when I give it some throttle it starts to spit and sputter then eventually will die if I dont let off the throttle. Any ideas what the problem could be? Also, even though it has a 1/2 tank of gas for some reason the gas light will not go off. Thanks for any help.

Possible you stirred up some sediment in the tank doing this and it got into the injectors?

Also check wires to the sensors under the tank like the sensor on the front cylinder head and on the throttle body.

thanks for the input. Unfortunatly I don't have a service manual and I really had no idea what I was doing. But, there was a small two wire plug that was under the tank toward the front. I didn't remember taking this plug off anything and did not see where it plugged into anything. So I left it alone. Maybe this is the plug for the sensor on the front cylinder head that I missed?

Last edited:
No.. for some reason the fuel gauge is working now. I will pull the tank off tommorrow ( again) and see if I can locate where the sensor is on that front cylinder head. Im sure that plug has to go somewhere.
Thanks for the help

The sensor is in the rear of the front head on the horn side between the cylinders. You should be able to see it without removing the tank.

Back