free website stats program Spinning Starter.... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spinning Starter....

Just a question since I have never worked on the starter.

Does the pinion gear have to be removed for this type of work. I have been in the primary cover 2 times now and at $40 for a new primary gasket its like throwing money to the wind

You are right, $40 is a lot for the gasket. Copy the part number and paste it into this hyperlink to Zanotti' HD Search for price and availability:

https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php

I know that I had to pull the primary cover to get at the two allen bolts holding in the starter. No way around it... :(

I took my starter out tonight and according to the HD manual you have to remove the Jackshaft bolt, pinnion gear from the primary side then the starter from the other side.

Sorry GesserG...I thought you were Guess'in rather than an ol' Gezzer like me! :D

No offence taken. I am and old Gezzer. I guess I spelled Gezzer wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished replacing my starter clutch today. Everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks for the replys and advice. My harley shop wanted $500 for the job and they couldn't get to it for 2 weeks. The parts cost me $120. Now I can buy more chrome:p

Back