Speedometer

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by billybob51, Nov 22, 2010.

1. billybob51

billybob51 New Member

once I turn ignition switch on speedometer goes nuts. won't return to 0 until switched off (maybe not then). mileage works and a couple of times it 0'd when I switched it to auxillary.

any ideas?

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Could very easily be dampness in the electrical connector at the speedo. I would unplug that connector and inspect it for moisture. I would hit it with a hair dryer to be sure. Do you have the wiring diagrams for your bike.

Does the odometer read accurately (compared to mile markers)

3. paulmack

paulmack Active Member

Does the speedometer work at all? I had a similar problem with my bike and the odometere worked fine but the speedometer didn't work at all. Cleaned the speed sensor and the speedo worked for a little while then quit again. Glider said it was probably a bad speedo and as usual he was spot on. I got a used speedo and problem corrected.

4. billybob51

billybob51 New Member

yeah the mileage works fine, checked for moisture and used hairdryer but alas same result

5. billybob51

billybob51 New Member

where is the speed sensor?

6. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

In the tranny. Don't mix it with the Neutral light switch.

If you don't have any historical DTC's such as a P0501, P0502, U1097, U1255 etc, and your odometer is reading accurate along with still having distance cancellation of your turn signals, I would have to say your VSS signal is consistent. Based on that, it sure sounds like an internal problem within the speedo itself.

Bummer! I like the "loose wire" fixes myself.:)