free website stats program Speedometer | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedometer

billybob51

once I turn ignition switch on speedometer goes nuts. won't return to 0 until switched off (maybe not then). mileage works and a couple of times it 0'd when I switched it to auxillary.

any ideas?

Could very easily be dampness in the electrical connector at the speedo. I would unplug that connector and inspect it for moisture. I would hit it with a hair dryer to be sure. Do you have the wiring diagrams for your bike.

Does the odometer read accurately (compared to mile markers)

Does the speedometer work at all? I had a similar problem with my bike and the odometere worked fine but the speedometer didn't work at all. Cleaned the speed sensor and the speedo worked for a little while then quit again. Glider said it was probably a bad speedo and as usual he was spot on. I got a used speedo and problem corrected.

where is the speed sensor?

In the tranny. Don't mix it with the Neutral light switch.

If you don't have any historical DTC's such as a P0501, P0502, U1097, U1255 etc, and your odometer is reading accurate along with still having distance cancellation of your turn signals, I would have to say your VSS signal is consistent. Based on that, it sure sounds like an internal problem within the speedo itself.

Bummer! I like the "loose wire" fixes myself.:)

Back