free website stats program speedometer quit | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

speedometer quit

So what was the problem?

Ok just for you --- I replaced the speed sensor first cuz it was cheapest -- still did not work. Then I replaced the speedometer - that did fix it. I am now happy happy happy!!

(thanks for asking tho) have a great day now.
Bill

Ok just for you --- I replaced the speed sensor first cuz it was cheapest -- still did not work. Then I replaced the speedometer - that did fix it. I am now happy happy happy!!

(thanks for asking tho) have a great day now.
Bill

Thanks for the reply, It is nice to follow up, so we can all learn.
That's why I joined the group.
Since the odometer was working, spedo. cluster was my initial hunch too.
Best to check/look into first.
BTY how do they certify the mileage when one changes the speedometer.
Thanks,
Tony

Thanks for the reply, It is nice to follow up, so we can all learn.
That's why I joined the group.
Since the odometer was working, spedo. cluster was my initial hunch too.
Best to check/look into first.
BTY how do they certify the mileage when one changes the speedometer.
Thanks,
Tony

IF you were to order a Harley Davidson OEM replacement speedometer, as I understand it, they ask your mileage and roll the new one up to that mileage,(or it will automatically self adjust) --- BUT, if you order an after market speedo - (about $200 vs $500) that one comes in and you start out with ZERO miles again. As far as 'certifying' total mileage, not positive, but I spose you could make a statement and have it notorized to be presented to anyone NEEDING to know. Here, the DMV told me that any vehicle ten years old they (the DMV) did not care about mileage - just the age. So I dont concern myself with mileage as I am now riding around on a 12 year old bike that shows about 600 miles!! No problem. However, I did hang on to the original speedo that shows I had about 50K miles to begin with.

Hope all this rambling around helps you out some. YES, this forum is a GREAT place to ask questions about any HDMC and get good and quick answers. Lots of knowledgible folks here and they do not mind helping.

Bill

Hey guys, I have a similar but more compounded problem. I acquired a 2005 FXSTI with super low mileage(400 miles) last year and it now has 2500 miles. Two months ago things started going a little haywire. Here is the problem- the speedo does not work, the odometer displays but does not increase in mileage, signals do not auto cancel and once the engine is warm, it will stall out in idle. Once it stalls, it can be immediately re-started with the ignition. Prior to these problems I had changed the battery, no other maintenance or events. Things I've done- checked battery connection, cables and wire harnesses for damage, cleaned computer contacts and removed the speedo. The bike seems to act up less after removal of speedo but still eventually cuts out. At first, I thought it must be the speedo after reading forums and the fact that the signals won't auto cancel, but it seems something more in-depth? Electrical gremlins???

Did you find any information on your problem?? I have the exact same problem on my 2003 Heritage

Did you find any information on this problem, I am having the exact same problem on my 2003 Heritage and it has only 7500 mile on it.

Back