free website stats program speedometer quit | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

speedometer quit

Ride on the highway for several miles just to see if your traveled distance is in step with your odometer. A 1/4 mile sample is not enough. If mile markers on the highway track in sync with your odometer, I would say the speedo has a problem.
All the diags showed CLr.

rode the bike again, checking the odometer against mile markers along an Interstate highway. Odometer was right on with the milemarkers. The turn signals self cancel just fine -- the speedometer just sat on zero....it looks like I need a new speedometer -- right?

Bill

thanks to all responders. I can always count on some good tips and suggestions here.
I did read in the manual about the speed sensor located on the top of the tranny. It is held in place by an allenhead capscrew -- do I remove that to see if cleaning it will help?
IF my actual speedometer went bad, what do I need to replace or fix on it? If it is bad, do I need an entire new speedometer? hummm another note here - the speedometer always worked fine - the needle did not even flicker or bounce - one day I cranked it to ride and the needle just sat on zero and didnt move.

Bill

I had a problem with my Speedo that was solved by replacing the VSS. You can try cleaning it, but for around US$60 for a new one, I would just replace it and see if that does the trick. See here:

Speedometer malfunctioning - VSS Issue - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

As the speedometer is a fairly expensive part it may be worth investing in a vss first just as a final test if the vss is ok then you will have a spare from what i have read on this forum it is a fairly common item to have problems so perhaps not a bad idea to have one in the spares box

Brian

As the speedometer is a fairly expensive part it may be worth investing in a vss first just as a final test if the vss is ok then you will have a spare from what i have read on this forum it is a fairly common item to have problems so perhaps not a bad idea to have one in the spares box

Brian

thanks Fin - and to all - you know what is really bad --- running through a known speed trap while your speedometer is NOT working leaving you to guess at your speed and hoping you dont get a ticket -- :):)

Triple threat!! :newsmile100:

images

Tank, that's just plain MEAN!!!:s

I agree - triple threat is just being MEAN!!! I NEED a working speedometer NOW!!! :):):)

Bill

I agree - triple threat is just being MEAN!!! I NEED a working speedometer NOW!!! :):):)

Bill

WUPPS!!! stopped by Harley Davidson and a new replacement speedo for my 2001 Heritage is $402!!!! OMG! haha - I told one guy that and he said "go in and raise both hands/arms over your head and tell them your wallet is in your back right pocket" hehe Oh well I thought that was funny!

Bill

Back