speedometer quit

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by Billbo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Billbo

Billbo Junior Member

Hello all, I have yet another question (2) for the folks here. I have a 2001 Heritage with 50K miles and yesterday, my speedometer stopped working. Just shows '0' mph. Bike continued to run just fine. The odometer is still working, all lights are still working, highbeam indicator still working etc etc.. Anyone know what I may look for when just the speedometer stops?? Is the speedometer gear operated or electronic?

Thanks
    Bill

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Remove the speed sensor on the top of the tranny and check for a build up of fuzz on the pick up first

3. Billbo

Billbo Junior Member

OK and thanks Jack. I did check the help section - lots of stuff there but most had been removed/moved/deleted???

Jack, is that speed sensor the same as a magnet that I had seen elsewhere here??? If so, I guess that means I have electronic speed sensor and not a hard gear/cable drive from the front wheel?

PS: I have an owners shop manual - the thick one I bought at the HD shop. I guess I am just lazy to ask the question here, but, I like people's answers and the advice I get here.

Bill

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Bill, I do believe your speedo is driven by the tranny, does your bike have a cable running to the front wheel If not, pull the tranny sensor out and clean it off and try it:s

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

In the mid 90's the cable speedo was done away with if the odometer is electronic then the speedo works from the sensor on the transmission
    i would suspect if the sensor is the fault then the odometer would no longer count the miles and the turn signals would fail to self cancel
    so if the odometer is working i would suspect that the speedo is faulty

Brian

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

95 was the first year of electronic speedo as with most firsts it was on the dyna, 96 for the softail and sportster but i am not sure about the touring models i would suspect 96 also

Brian

7. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

I had a '96 FLHTCU and it was front wheel drive.
    tourbox

8. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I think Brian has you covered above. Since your Odo. is working, it suggests that the Speedo itself is the problem.

TQ

9. cdn-bigfoot

cdn-bigfoot Junior Member

Front wheel drive.
    HAHAHAHA!

10. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

for the speedo only.
    tourbox