free website stats program Speedometer Question...Can I borrow your wisdom? | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedometer Question...Can I borrow your wisdom?

Adamal47

The odometer (little lcd screen) on my 1997 heritage softail somehow got ruined. I cannot see any numbers. I already know that I need to replace the speedometer. I know that the new one must be sent to the HD factory to have the milage corrected. So my question is if I purchase a used speedo off ebay with a previous milage already on it can I send that one to the factory to have the milage changed or do I have to buy a brand new speedo at 4x the cost? Also just so I'm sure, I need a HD part number for the speedo just so I know I'm getting the right one (they all pretty much look the same in pictures). Thanks in advance

The P/N you need is 67027-96a, which has superceded to a C, and no, you can't send it to HD for recalibration. With the electronic speedos, I don't believe there is a way to change registered mileage, short of having the MoCo do it. Hope the P/N helps, just get a used one, and keep track of the discrepencies, and be up front if/when you sell the bike.

UPDATE: I called my local HD dealer today to ask what can I do. He told me it happens all the time and yes they can transfer the milage to a new speedo. Unfortunatly this cost mucho denero. I'll just keep scouring the forums and Ebay until I find what I need. PS.. If anyone has a speedo with roughly 32,000 miles on it and wants to get rid of it please send me a pm.

Back