free website stats program Speedometer problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedometer problems

tadpole

I have a 02 ultra and ever since i got it. I've had it a little over 2 years it had 3200 miles when i got it now has 17000. But the speedometer some times when i first get on it and get up to 2600 rpm which should be around 60 mph it reads about 40. All I have to do is shut off the key switch & right back on . The gauges all reset & its fine. Sometimes it will do it every time i start it & sometimes it will go for a while? I had a 2 yr warrenty on it and took it back where I got it but they couldn't fine anything wrong. Now the warrenty is out and it is still doing it . Any suggestions on what I could look for???

Are the Harley speedometers accurate? The reason I ask it because my son's Honda VTX1300 reads about 10 miles per hour low. When I drove it home from the dealership the other day when we picked it up, I thought I was going 65 mph on the Interstate highway and I found out later that my son was measuring about 55 mph in the car when he followed behind me. He said that all the VTX1300s read low and Honda won't do anything about it. What about Harleys, do they have accurate speedometers?

I drive 20 miles to work and my wifes car,my truck, and my harley come out to the exact same mileage on the odometer. when I ride my honda I think it's about half a mile more for the 20 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride my bike to work very often and every time I set of I push the trip meter to zero.
When I get to work it reads 18.3 miles and that the same every time. Does that mean mine is dead acurate?
No kidding, my sportster was at least 7 miles out.

I ride my bike to work very often and every time I set of I push the trip meter to zero.
When I get to work it reads 18.3 miles and that the same every time. Does that mean mine is dead acurate?
No kidding, my sportster was at least 7 miles out.

Well, let me see now, same bike , same route, am I missing something here, shouldn't it be the same every time?:33:

When I road my old Honda Sabre and had my GPS on my Honda read higher then my GPS
When I put my GPS in my Dodge Ram truck it was dead on. Haven't had the chance to try it on my new RKC yet. Don't get it till the end of the mounth.

Back