free website stats program Speedometer Off | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedometer Off

How does one go about re-calabrating the speedometer? Mine is off 3 mph @ 80 according to my Zumo 550
TIA
Russ

Last edited:
Mine is off about the same and you'll find that most Harley's are off a little, they read a bit faster than they really are going... I think that's not really a bad thing. I don't think there's a way to adjust the speedo, but I'm not that worried that I'm not going exactly 80 when it says 80. Just not that important.
Ugly John

every vehicle I own is off 3 to 5 MPH according to my GPS. I think it a conspiracy:panic to make you think you get better gas mileage.:s

Mine is off about the same amount but I think since the speedometer also runs the odometer, over the 5K miles between services, you're back for service much sooner. It would have work out to at least a couple of extra services over the life of the bike. It's a HD conspiracy. :panic
:newsmile100:

:USA

Does Harley make a little taller tire? That would make the speedometer turn over slower and help correct the difference. I don't know if it would fit though.

If that is all your off you got a good one. Mine is off at least 5 MPH at that speed. HD says if it is within 10% its good.

I verify the calibration using those strategically placed SPEED SIGNS that clock your speed as you approach and flash you MPH when you are within visual range. My speedometer checks out accurately...but then I have the Metzler tires which run slightly larger that the equivalent Dunlop (tire diameter)...Good luck!

It is not the speedometer that is off it is the delay time on the satellite hook up . Go by your speedometer & all is good .

Hummmm...... I'm now waiting for the next question. How do you adjust the GPS? :bigsmiley14: Hey, someone was going to ask it! I might as well get it out of the way. :D Ok, sorry. . . I feel a little spunky this morning.
Ugly John

Back