free website stats program speedometer not working | Harley Davidson Forums

speedometer not working

The speed/distance sense wire green/red strip wire is open going to the TSSM and ECM has an open connection, which is basically detects the speed and distance traveled sending a data pulse train to the speedometer. Do you have a wiring diagram, and did you do something like wash the bike or do mods under the instrument cluster, tank or under the seat? May also want to check all the way back to the fuse block. Sportsters are notorious for open fuse compartment that gets wet near battery cover and seat gaping hole. Get some contact cleaner and dielectric grease and buff everything clean with a pen knife and lightly coat.

Last edited:
I have a 2007 XL 50 and tonite when I fired it up and took off the speedometer was not working. I came straight home because at stop lights I could tell that something was not right. The idle was too low, almost dying. I came straight to computer to see if I can find out what to look for tomorrow. I have done nothing other than ride it, no tinkering. It only has about 6K miles. I have read that it has some diagnostics?? It has a speedometer and separate tach, stock.Hope that someone can help. Thanks

It does sound like the VSS but no red light showed today when riding home. First thing tomorrow I will be checking this out.Thanks

Thanks, I will check that out. It just goes bad like that? Common?

It doesn't take much to act up. Generally the accumulated fuzz (gear material from a poor quality lube in the trans) on the head is sufficient to cause the problem.

Back