free website stats program speedo way off after wheel change | Harley Davidson Forums

speedo way off after wheel change

nascar7613

I have a 1995 Bad Boy. Changed out the front wheel to a 21" Now my speedo pegs out at low speed. It has a wheel driven cable type speedo. Is there a different speedo drive I can install to correct the problem or is there a gear kit to install in my speedo drive?

If your stock front wheel was 19", you need to get the speedo drive unit for a 21" front wheel. Dyna Wide Glide, or Softail Custom probably.

Check with dealer you might be able to change out cable gears...

Looking at the OEM parts page it came with a 21" wheel originally. What size was on it before the change? Soft Tails have a different speedo ratio than say a WG. I believe the WG is a 2/1 ratio and a Soft Tail is 2240:60 ratio. I don't know for sure what your speedo unit ratio is though. May someone here does or your local HD shop does.
tourbox

The fxstc softail custom and fxdwg dyna wide glide both come with a 21" wheel and are both fitted with 67120-84b speedo drive unit the part number is from the 93-94 parts list that would be my best guess of what may be the best speedo drive unit

Brian

Back