free website stats program Speedo Tach combo only works when warm. | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo Tach combo only works when warm.

Paul Burch

I have an 05 Springer Softail Classic, the speedo combo decided not to work when the temp is cold. The engine light does not come on at startup when the speedo is cold, but the red secuirty light does come on and stays on. This happened in the fall when temp dropped. During the spring and summer all was fine all lights appeared at start up and both speedo, tach and odometer functioned. When it got cold nothing works.
Diagnostic test revealed that once the speedo was warmed up past 85 degrees F then the engine light would come on and the unit functioned as expected. When cold nothing works but engine runs fine. I am thinking cold solder joined somewhere in the cluster unless there could be another explanation.

That's kinda like my Wife, she won't get on the bike till it's 85 degrees or more. :D The speedo combo on my 05 Wide Glide works fine UNTIL it gets really hot, then the tachometer gets way wrong and I have even had the speedometer fail. I think the manufacturer of those units that year made a huge batch of lemons.:mad:

Back