free website stats program Speedo resets in rain | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo resets in rain

glimmerman

Coming across Vail Pass in July, we encountered a serious monsoon of rain, sleet, hail, and snow. I usually run on the "A" setting of the trip log for gas and the "B" log for miles run per trip. during the course of our "excursion" we were drenched on a continuous basis from the cars going past in the left lane. radio went out and the speedo reset to zero on "A", "B", and remaing miles per tank. anyone else had this problem? the radio started this in 13 in Canada. 10 ultra.

Just a guess but have you checked all your connections in the fairing and under the tank? Clean up all the connections and apply dieelectric grease. Couldn't hurt.

that is the plan since its apart now. should I apply an extremely thin coat of clear latex or silicone around the crimped ring on the inner and outer sides? got the dielectric grease already for the headset connections.

A couple of my friends have experienced various gauge/radio problems associated with riding in heavy rain. I made a baffle of sorts out of thin porous foam in the open area of the fairing under the headlight (where all the wires enter). The foam restricts air and water intrusion, but still allows some air flow to prevent condensation. It ain't pretty, but it is out of sight.

A good coat of dialectic grease in the connectors will solve the problem. Water can be a conduit and the dialectic grease will keep it out better than anything.

ok. even though we have a nice rubber grommet at the connection, I'm going with the grease and going to try some type of cover inside the fairing. thanks.

Back