free website stats program Speedo & Radio Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo & Radio Problem

Got a '01 bagger- the speedo is bouncing around after about 10 minutes when riding and when this happens the radio sound is effected. I mean when the speedo goes from 65 to 0 the sound from the speaker also goes from loud to soft and vise versa. Looked at the wiring chart and found nothing that ties these two items together . . . .any thoughts on the problem would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
2Tall

Steve, thanks for the quick reply . . . . I'll give that a try . . .just doesn't seem like the two should be related but I can't think of anything else
thanks again
2Tall

Ground wiring is common return fault as so many of the electrical accessories, particularly mounted in a non-metallic touring fairing is a fairly basic concern. The key is many accessories nowadays use Digital Logic low voltage...NOT the 12V Battery direct voltage. So the use of on board diagnostics like the DTC codes is essentially a "2nd opinion" to help you troubleshoot.:s

Using a battery operated DMM for simple "bridged" voltage measurements is the safest method of "live" troubleshooting as long as you do not short the test probes together (I use heatshrink or electrical tape so only the very tips make contact). Of course, after you suspect a problem, use the "non-powered" resistance ohmmeter check to confirm...continuity or reading is in the expected range.:D

Not sure if your 01 is the same as my 07 but the radio is designed to get louder as your speed increases. Thus when your speedo goes to zero the volume goes to the low setting.I also would look at wiring but suspect the sensor is getting hot and stops working.

Could this also be a weak battery or weak charging system issue? I had a similar problem with a sweeping speedo years back turned out to be a dead short in the battery

Funny you mention that I had a different problem with my EGC (07) it would idle low and sometimes die at a stop or idle high then when I came to a complete stop the idle would return to normal,did this maybe three times on the way to and from sturgis.I tried everything folks on this forum suggested finally took it to the dealer they had the bike for sometime never could duplicate the problem.After I got the bike back from the dealer the battery died,since I replaced it in oct it has never done it again...Hmmm..coincidence ,maybe...

Back