free website stats program Speedo question. | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo question.

rollo3076

:DI read somewhere that all mc speedos read 5 mph fast. Anyone know if this is true? Sometimes it seems right, but sometimes the radar cops give me a hard look running 75. I like to take 5 over the speed limit. Tach reads about 2900 at 80.????

I think all speedo's have a certain degree of error in them even in cars. The faster you go the greater the error. I'm not sure exactly how far off the Harley speedo is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 5 off at interstate speeds.

Can't speak for all Harley's but mine is on the nuts up to 55 mph, after 55 it's off by 10 mph. Example... if it reads 75 mph I'm actually only going 65! :(

In this country it is acceptable for a speedo to read up to 10% faster than actual speed but it is not allowed to read any slower than actual speed
As your tyres wear then the rolling radius of the tyre will be less and the speedo will read faster than it would have on mew tyres

Brian

Every touring Harley I have ever ridden has been off by 3-4 mph after 55. I have tested the Road Kings specifically with police radar guns and the same outcome....my 2010 FLHTK is off by 4.

With a new rear tire (oem size), my '07 FLHTC is very close to matching my GPS at 60-70 mph (2-3 mph fast). As my tread wears, it gets farther off.

Never owned a Harley that was not off by at least 5mph

I got stopped by my local county sheriff on my 07 Electra Glide. I had just hit 6th gear and set my cruise at 62mph according to the speedo. It was a 55 zone. When he came up to me, I didn't even give an excuse, just told him I was going about 62... He said that's exactly what his radar said.

Didn't get a ticket, he said he was a biker too. I think he was looking for DUI's since it was a Friday evening and the spot he got me at was a couple miles past the little hole-in-the-wall country bar where bikes tend to gather.

Can't speak for all Harley's but mine is on the nuts up to 55 mph, after 55 it's off by 10 mph. Example... if it reads 75 mph I'm actually only going 65! :(
Thats what got me started. I had read that they are all off by 5 mph, but when my wife was running beside me(in the truck, before you ask), she said it was dead on at 60. Thanks for the answers. I now know how to run in the speed zones.

Back