free website stats program Speedo out of adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo out of adjustment

Would first like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post. I ride a 96 King and just put new Dunlop 402's front and back. There is no speedo gear on front wheel. After installing tires and taking bike for test ride the speedo seems to be way off. I guesstimate that I was traveling 55-60 but the speedo was only showing 40. Any thoughts on this and is there any adjustment. Thanks in advance and looking forward to many future posts.

Welcome to the forum.
That is a huge amount of error. Is the new rear tire that much taller than the old one.

Welcome to the forum King, don't know of of any adjustments and 402's tires should read right on speedo, I would check it against a bro's speedo or find a speed test section of hwy where they have the road marked.

If the rear tire is close in over all height to the old, I can't see how your speedo can be that much off due to a tire change. Do what Chopper suggests or just drive a fixed 60mph between 2 mile markers. Should take you exactly 60 seconds. Mile markers are deadly accurate.

Just a thought but when you put the sending unit in the front hub, did you make sure the small arm was in the detent of the rotor? If it not in the hole it could be spinning some but not true to rotation.

Chopper, so the speedo is driven off the front wheel and not the rear....so much for the rear tire making a difference. I guessed rear from what OP said in original post. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

ok let me show my ignorance here. I had no idea there was a sending unit in the front hub. I never seen one not to say that there wasn't. All I removed from the front hub was a spacer on each side.

Go to bandit.com and load your year and model of Harley. They will then show you a parts breakdown. You should be able to find the sending unit with that and see where and how it is attached. Fossit

OK I might be the one screwing things up here, I did not read the post as good as I should have like Hoople did, in my head I was thinking they were to electronic speedo in 97 but it could of been 96.

Back