free website stats program Speedo off | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo off

my understanding is that the speedo shows about 103 at 100. an error of 3% my rk police says "certified" on it to be the correct speed. by gps, it is about 7 mph slow at 60. wouldn't have wanted to be clocked by this leo. still be waiting to get out:D

there is a lot of talk about "tire size" - but on the 2000 and newer bikes the speedo is run off of the tranny, would tire and or rim size make any difference? I wouldn't think it would but if it does please explain - thanks

there is a lot of talk about "tire size" - but on the 2000 and newer bikes the speedo is run off of the tranny, would tire and or rim size make any difference? I wouldn't think it would but if it does please explain - thanks

Bigger tire should show slower , smaller tire turns faster it takes more energy to turn a bigger tire also

When I had mine on the Dyno I was told he set the speedometer right on. Is this not correct? I hope the milage is now reading less that what I really put on.
I put a speedohealer on one of my other bikes (not a Harley) and set it so the speed was correct but the milage was reading slow maybe two miles less than it should be for twenty miles.

two miles less than it should be for twenty miles.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Dyna and would not trade it for two new goldwings, but I can't understand why HD can't get a gauge (fuel level, fuel reserve, speedometer, odometer, oil pressure, air temperature) to read accurately. In my case, an error of two miles in 40 is ridiculous. In your case 2 miles in 20 is Ridiculous Squared.

It's like they just install the feature and walk away. No testing, no calibration, no ability TO calibrate if you wanted to. My gas gauge is a Joke. When you get down to the last 30 miles to empty (which is actually about 80) the display counts down,,, 30,,29,,28,,27 etc etc until you get to 10. Below 10 it changes from a number in miles to the word "LO". That's Great! just when you NEED to know a number, it just displays the word "LO".

What are these designers thinking? Why don't they just glue a cardboard pointer on a dial and be done with it.?

The speed the tranny is moving is monitord to give the speed the bike is moving but as the tranny is turning the wheels then it is working out the speed of the bike with the stock wheels and tyres fitted and with no tread wear on the tyre
as the tread of the tyre wears down then the rolling radius of the wheel is reduced and the ground speed of the bike is less than the indicated speed as the tyre is covering less distance per rotation
Chanding the wheel/tyre size or tyre profile may also affect the ability of the speedo to register correct speed
you just need the rolling radius of the tyre to be correct

Brian

Back