free website stats program Speedo malfunctioning | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo malfunctioning

I don't know what happened but I was riding my bike the other morning and the speedo started working again, the engine light went off and the odometer came back on. I noticed the lights brightness went back to normal. Hope it stays that way.

I noticed the lights brightness went back to normal. Hope it stays that way.

Until now you never mentioned that the lights brightness was abnormal. Knowing that single piece of information would have solved this problem early on. Any solid state device (TSM, ECM, Ignition module, BAS etc) is at risk when higher than normal voltage is present. I would almost bet the farm that the problem will return.

I thought I had mentioned the lights brightness being abnormal in this thread. I see now that was mentioned in another thread. I'm just trying to figure this mess out.

Check the voltage at your battery while idling and then rev it up and see if your voltage is well over 14 volts. Had same problem a month ago, thought I had ignition switch problem at first until I checked voltage at battery. Voltage was fine at idle 13.5 to 14 volts. Then I rev'd engine and voltage went to 18 volts. This would cause odometer to go blank, speedometer to go to 0, and check engine light to come on. And by the way, when you come to a stop, everything goes back to normal because rpm's are down.

That's the exact same thing mine's doing. I haven't checked the voltage with the bike running. I should have when I had the chance. With the bike shut off it was reading 12.94 if I remember correctly. I did the data test on it today and was getting the code 16. The engine light would flash several quick flashes, then a short pause, then one flash, then a short pause, then six flashes. Then it would repeat the same series of flashes. No other codes. I'm thinking this could be the voltage regulator maybe?

Was yours the voltage regulator Davis?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was. Have to be careful not to ride it while it has this problem especially if it is overcharging like mine was. Road about five miles and ignition switch got hot from excessive voltage. Will eventually be replacing switch because of voltage regulator.

Back