free website stats program Speedo goes blank then back on | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo goes blank then back on

Thanks. That is exactly what happens, headlight gets bright then I would loose the spedo for a few seconds. I am in the process of checking the voltage reg out. Last night I checked the charging system, and it was ok. Checked Stator and it was also good. :newsmile108:

The problem with testing the VR is it could be such an intermittant problem that it may or may not show up while testing. If no other problems are found more than likely the VR is the issue.

A friend of mine has a fuel injected 03 Fatboy that does the same thing with the speedo but the turn signals wont work either.. Then everything starts working again..Same issue or something else ? He doesn't know if the headlight gets brighter or not...
Thanks
Tigg

A friend of mine has a fuel injected 03 Fatboy that does the same thing with the speedo but the turn signals wont work either.. Then everything starts working again..Same issue or something else ? He doesn't know if the headlight gets brighter or not...
Thanks
Tigg

If its just that he loses power only it is more likely to be a loose/bad connection etc, but if he has lights going dimmer and/or brighter I would suspect the VR.

Thanks
Tigg

Bad batteries can cause a host of problems. I would start there and suspect a bad regulator. It would not hurt to check for grounds and often overlooked the main battery connection on the starter:D

Thanks for the replies ..I thought it was a loose plug or wire on the harness behind the headlight until I read this post but at least it gives us a couple of places to start..

Hi All,

Changed out Regulator tonight. All is working well no flicker or spedo is not going blank. Thanks for all the help. I hope this helps someone else down the road.:bigsmiley14:

Hi All,

Changed out Regulator tonight. All is working well no flicker or spedo is not going blank. Thanks for all the help. I hope this helps someone else down the road.:bigsmiley14:
YES,,,Posting the FIX ALWAYS makes our day..

I had a 2ooo FXDS and the same exact problem.. 800 miles from home,
VR went out, doing that Same spedo-thing and finally battery went Down... Tow trk to HD shop. And Presto,,, many $$$$$$$$$ later fixed.

That is How and Why I bought the 09 FLHR down in Bend Oregon...

Boy was THAT Voltage Regulator Pricy.. Lucky the 10's just hit the floor... August 2?/10, Lucky the Part wasn't IN STOCK and had to be UPS'd in or I'd be on my HOT FXDS...

Glad BROWN was there LATE.... OR did the Sales Staff "work" to see the part never showed up?????

signed....BUBBIE

Back