free website stats program Speedo goes blank then back on | Harley Davidson Forums

Speedo goes blank then back on

twinnair

Hi All,
I was out riding the other night and my lights flickered bright then dim and my spedo went to zero then back up to the speed I was driving. This happened quite a lot. My spedo is electronic. The turn signals work fine and cancel. Was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, and what might be the problem. :small3d031:

Hi All,
I was out riding the other night and my lights flickered bright then dim and my spedo went to zero then back up to the speed I was driving. This happened quite a lot. My spedo is electronic. The turn signals work fine and cancel. Was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, and what might be the problem. :small3d031:

Check that the wires to the speedo are not pinched, check the connections @ the battery, clean and tight

I removed and cleaned the batter post and connections. I also removed the dash and checked the wiring connection. I rode last night and it did the same thing:cheers

Any mods or add on's recently where you may have lossened or pinched a wire. If so go back to those spots and inspect carefully. Sound like a ground wire issue. If you have the manual you could locate the speedo wires and trace them out. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Bodeen

I have the maintenance manual and will give that a try. I have had no new add on's electrically. When I Find the gremlin i will let ya know. :mgun

Hi All,

Had a similar situation on my scoot and when it happened the Headlight burned even brighter for a few seconds and I would lose my speedo light at the same time.

Turned out to be a bad Voltage Regulator.

Thanks. That is exactly what happens, headlight gets bright then I would loose the spedo for a few seconds. I am in the process of checking the voltage reg out. Last night I checked the charging system, and it was ok. Checked Stator and it was also good. :newsmile108:

Back