Speedo goes blank then back on

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by twinnair, Apr 10, 2011.

1. twinnair

twinnair Member

Hi All,
    I was out riding the other night and my lights flickered bright then dim and my spedo went to zero then back up to the speed I was driving. This happened quite a lot. My spedo is electronic. The turn signals work fine and cancel. Was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, and what might be the problem. :small3d031:

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Check that the wires to the speedo are not pinched, check the connections @ the battery, clean and tight

3. twinnair

twinnair Member

I removed and cleaned the batter post and connections. I also removed the dash and checked the wiring connection. I rode last night and it did the same thing:cheers

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community check this and load test the battery, strange things happen with a bad battery. I had a dead short on my 97 FLHT it made the soeedo do strange things but not all the time:s

5. twinnair

twinnair Member

will do. Thanks:)

6. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Any mods or add on's recently where you may have lossened or pinched a wire. If so go back to those spots and inspect carefully. Sound like a ground wire issue. If you have the manual you could locate the speedo wires and trace them out. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Bodeen

7. twinnair

twinnair Member

I have the maintenance manual and will give that a try. I have had no new add on's electrically. When I Find the gremlin i will let ya know. :mgun

8. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

Had a similar situation on my scoot and when it happened the Headlight burned even brighter for a few seconds and I would lose my speedo light at the same time.

Turned out to be a bad Voltage Regulator.

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

That's usually the case when the lights flicker brighter or dimmer.

10. twinnair

twinnair Member

Thanks. That is exactly what happens, headlight gets bright then I would loose the spedo for a few seconds. I am in the process of checking the voltage reg out. Last night I checked the charging system, and it was ok. Checked Stator and it was also good. :newsmile108: