free website stats program speed | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

speed

I have had the ultra to 90 so far and she was pulling pretty good, not sure how much more though. My 2000 rkc would hit the wall at 115, i think it would have run 115 all day long as i did run it for about 3 miles at that speed until the law got after me and i had to detour the interstate and head for the boonies! Good stuff

on my gsxr 1000 sportbike the governor cuts the engine out at 186mph.. the gps in my pocket wouldnt register past 127mph...... at 186mph it was in 5th at 11k rpm. redline isnt till 14k. the motor had plenty more left.... i have had the streetglide at 110mph then decided to slow down:34:

Quite a range for the cruisers here. Anywhere from 103 mph and up to 120+. These are all reported with similar mods, basically stage one kits. So why the big differences? There is no way there should be this much difference is there? Maybe I just don't get on it hard enough on the way up? I am 5'9" and 200 LBS. As soon as I get my new front tire we are going to find out.

Most any grocery store carries it.

pledge.jpg

I've had my bike over a hundred........but it makes my eyes water, my face gets all contorted cuz of the wind, my lips and the fat on my arms starts flappin, I can't breath right and I start thinkn bout stuff jumpin out in front of me or layn in the road. It's fun for a miniute or 2 but I don't think Harley had extendid speeds in excess of, say 80 or so, in mind on the design end so, I'll keep it real, unless challenged. But, I would think yer bike should do 100+ without too much urging on your part.

I've had my bike over a hundred........but it makes my eyes water, my face gets all contorted cuz of the wind, my lips and the fat on my arms starts flappin, I can't breath right and I start thinkn bout stuff jumpin out in front of me or layn in the road.
===============================================
And when you were in your twenties (or there abouts),, your eyes watering, lips flappin, and face contorted, just made ya twist 'er up harder!!!!!:p

Last edited by a moderator:
The rpm's your engine normally reaches in the first 4 gears are not indicative of what you’ll reach in top gear. Power to weight times resistance accounts for a lot. Someone weighing 245 lbs. on a Harley weighing 800 lbs. powered by an engine with less than 90 rear wheel hp is lucky to go over 110-115 mph. My sons little Suzuki SVS 650 makes about the same hp (less torque) than my 09 S/G but combined weight rider and bike is more than 200 lbs. difference. Simply put he will leave me behind in any gear and keep pulling away until he reaches about 120-130; this while on a bike considered entry level by today’s standards.
My 2003 K1200 GT was rated 130 hp at the crank; most likely about 110 at the rear wheel. Redline on that motor was about 9,700, yet in 6th gear top speed was 147 at just a bit over 5K and it would not budge a lick over that because it had reached it’s max output given wind resistance to power output. The bike weighed 640 lbs. if I recall; almost 200 lbs. lighter than my 09 S/G.
If you can hit 115 on your Harley, don’t assume you’ve got a lot more just because you’re not at redline.
It’s perfectly achievable to expect 110 mph from most Harley’s today, but much more than that is usually wishful thinking. I can see where someone who weighs 245 lbs. on a relatively stock Harley with no more than 80 rear wheel hp could very well peek out at 105 mph. Your next option would be to dump about 3 thousand dollars into your engine and maybe have bragging rights to say you can reach 130 mph! But who cares, when anyone on a 1995 bone stock Honda 600 can still pass you like you’re standing still. If fast and top speed is the goal, you'll need a completely different motorcycle. If your Harley’s running great and it’ll take you to 105 mph, that’s all that counts.

The rpm's your engine normally reaches in the first 4 gears are not indicative of what you’ll reach in top gear. Power to weight times resistance accounts for a lot. Someone weighing 245 lbs. on a Harley weighing 800 lbs. powered by an engine with less than 90 rear wheel hp is lucky to go over 110-115 mph. My sons little Suzuki SVS 650 makes about the same hp (less torque) than my 09 S/G but combined weight rider and bike is more than 200 lbs. difference. Simply put he will leave me behind in any gear and keep pulling away until he reaches about 120-130; this while on a bike considered entry level by today’s standards.
My 2003 K1200 GT was rated 130 hp at the crank; most likely about 110 at the rear wheel. Redline on that motor was about 9,700, yet in 6th gear top speed was 147 at just a bit over 5K and it would not budge a lick over that because it had reached it’s max output given wind resistance to power output. The bike weighed 640 lbs. if I recall; almost 200 lbs. lighter than my 09 S/G.
If you can hit 115 on your Harley, don’t assume you’ve got a lot more just because you’re not at redline.
It’s perfectly achievable to expect 110 mph from most Harley’s today, but much more than that is usually wishful thinking. I can see where someone who weighs 245 lbs. on a relatively stock Harley with no more than 80 rear wheel hp could very well peek out at 105 mph. Your next option would be to dump about 3 thousand dollars into your engine and maybe have bragging rights to say you can reach 130 mph! But who cares, when anyone on a 1995 bone stock Honda 600 can still pass you like you’re standing still. If fast and top speed is the goal, you'll need a completely different motorcycle. If your Harley’s running great and it’ll take you to 105 mph, that’s all that counts.
Come to think of it, when I had my 07 Dyno'd after the installation of a Power Commander. The guy put the bike in 6th gear and locked the throttle, it took a minute or so and then he switched the Dyno screen to MPH and pointed, for me to look at it. According to the screen my bike was doing 160mph! After the run I said "So, my bike will do 160mph now....wow!" with a big grin on my face.....he wiped my grin off by sayn something like "maybe...if ya fell off a really, really high cliff."
Seriousy, lightning's right, wind resistance, weight, road conditions, even slightly low air pressure in tires'll get ya. 100+ shouldn't be a problem, after that there's other things to consider, like your gonna look funny with all your stuff flappin, your eyes waterin, gaspin for air.

Back