free website stats program Speed Sensor | Harley Davidson Forums

Speed Sensor

CYOTE1

Need tips on how to get to the speed sensor on an 06 Street Bob. I can see it & even loosen it but there is just no room to pull it out. Help!!!

Removing batt box is not the answer. Still not enough room to work. Looks like the starter will have to be removed. Has anyone taken the speedo sensor out of a 06 St Bob?

Removing batt box is not the answer. Still not enough room to work. Looks like the starter will have to be removed. Has anyone taken the speedo sensor out of a 06 St Bob?

I have not fiddled with a Street Bob, but I have to take the starter off of my Dyna to get the speed sensor out. It is located about midway back on the top of the tranny case pretty much under the starter.

TQ

What Kind Of A Project Is Removong The Starter? Do You Have Any Tips? Thanks Don

Not too bad on my bikes. I assume yours will be similar. Note - disconnect the battery! Here is a typical schematic:

STARTER MOTOR - 2000 Harley Davidson FXR4

Probably should remove any fancy chrome covers on the back of the starter so they don't get marred. Outer Primary Cover has to come off, and the long screw (#18 in schematic) has to be loosened completely from inside the primary, and then the two bolts on the other side (right side of the inner primary cover) that secure the starter can be loosened. Only "trick" is to get your allen bit into the bolt heads, but I use a 1/4 drive socket with lots of extension to do that. Once you have them kinda loose, but not removed, see if you can get enough movement on the starter to get your speed sensor replaced without completely pulling the starter.

TQ

Took the bat. box out like you said & that gave enough working room. Thanks for the tip!
The sensor came out with no problem. There were no shavings on it so it must be bad. I have a new one comming.

I had a speedo/tach problem & was about to order a speed sensor when I discovered a bad connection in the data line.

Back