free website stats program Speed sensor rev a | Harley Davidson Forums

Speed sensor rev a

WideGlideWilly

My 07 Wide-Glide experienced some craziness last week. Speedo went nutz, turn signals wouldn't cancel and the bike wanted to cut out when decelerating. After troubleshooting w/ a multi meter and some online guidance, it became obvious that the Vehicle Speed Sensor is bad. So I called my favorite parts guy at the dealership and he had two sensors in stock however, he also said that HD is coming out with a revision to this part so I asked if this was a high failure sensor. He said NO. HHHMMM! So why the revision? Wouldn't you think they should recall this part? I have recently talked to several guys that had a VSS failure or have replaced more than one. I haven't seen any bulletins on this. I don't want to fork out $60.00 every 10K miles for a new speed sensor. Poor engineering or manufacturing, I could care less. But I don't think it should be at the owners expense. Your thoughts? ~ Willy

So why the revision?
Wouldn't you think they should recall this part?
I have recently talked to several guys that had a VSS failure or have replaced more than one.
I haven't seen any bulletins on this.
I don't want to fork out $60.00 every 10K miles for a new speed sensor.
Poor engineering or manufacturing,
I could care less. But I don't think it should be at the owners expense. Your thoughts? ~ Willy

Wow, If you change the part, and it does not fix it. Then what?

The VSS is a magnetic part that is susceptible to the filings from the gears in the trans and as a result fails quite often.

The revision is only a periodic update to the part, more than likely a "C" after a part number instead of a "B" which could even be a different vendor for the part. Is it a better part? I doubt it.
Harley doesn't recall parts unless there is a safety hazard involved.

Unfortuanately the HD part number system only changes "Alpha" number and does not change the revision part number par se, unlike most vendors who change part number suffix (usually 2 or 3 digits after part number) if actual major part change and Alpha letter only for minor changes (like vendor change or cosmetic).

For example, on the starter clutch on my Sporty, I recently replaced you could see MOCO changed the press in bearing and seal part numbers (could not tell if there were changes to the internal clutch) going from rev A to rev C, so it is hard to say what that revision changes really do, or measurement criteria for degree of change. Obviously if really major change, they would change part number to something totally different.

Last summer, while on a 300 mile ride my speedo when hay wire also, so I had to cut my trip short. Not sure what else might fail and didn't want to be stranded.
I determined it was the VSS. I talked to my local service mgr and he said he replaced his 3 times on his 03, so I set up an appointment to get mine changed after he ordered the part. In the mean time, I went for a rind the following weekend and had no issues. What ever was clogging or attached to it the week before was gone.
To date, I have not changed it and it's been 1200 miles.

Glider, you said it...when something fails, consider it a warning...after that it could fail at a particularly terrible time...like in traffic or deep in the woods. Certainly don't want to gamble with Murphy controlling the house...:newsmile040:

Back