free website stats program Speed Question? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Speed Question?

My speedo is darn near perfect but my odometer is off by a good 5% which worked out to something like 2 miles a gallon for me. The factory error made me think I was getting better gas mileage than I really was.

My speedo is darn near perfect but my odometer is off by a good 5% which worked out to something like 2 miles a gallon for me. The factory error made me think I was getting better gas mileage than I really was.

Yes and when you put on thousands of miles it WILL show a lot more than Really Are on the bike..

My 6 speed conversion on my 2000 FXDS showed a drastic WRONG speed=miles..

I would show 25 MPH on the Speed-o and be doing 50 MPH exactly.. Rode that way for Many miles THEN did the electrical plug=in converter and figured out I had 17,000 MORE miles on the bike than it showed on the meter..

HA-ha,,, BOY was my GAS Mileage BAD...
signed....BUBBIE

Well Bubbie, I would say that the gas mileage being bad may also have been due to the right wrist exercises you were doing on the road...just saying! :)

Using a GPS for checking MPH is pretty accurate on the highway, and on my Tom-Tom the ETA calculations it does on the way is also very good. :s

I've checked calibration on many Harley's with both radar and laser. I have yet to find one that when even stock does not read about 4 mph faster than you're actually going. Even the ones that say "Police Calibrated". So your original 120 was probably more like 117 or 116. Larger tires always show slower speeds. I've even matched the speed of a car next to me with a digital speedometer and glanced over and it's always 3 to 4 off on my 2010 FLHTK.

I didnt even think of that, I will find a way to mount my GPS and see what my true speed is. I have seen it work in the car and notice that it calculates pretty fast and accurately. Thanks for the suggestions. I will post my findings.

Back