free website stats program Speed LImit 35 - What Gear Ya In. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Speed LImit 35 - What Gear Ya In.

On the downshifting aspect I am learning some by readig this post.I didn't realize anyone coasted to a stop and then downshifted.On any manual transission I have had four wheels or two I have always downshifted according to speed to keep engine R.P.M. at a level I am comfortable with. It has always been my opinion that if you keep your engine at the proper R.P.M you can power out of a potential problem.I will use this example,if you are coasting to a stop in third gear,clutch in and look in your rear view to see a car coming way too fast how are you going to power out of it to take evasive action? JMO

Never heard of that approach either (stopping before downshifting). Downshift as you slow. If someone is inexperienced, the owners manual will give shift points going up....use 'em for reference downshifting.

Anytime you have a "sense" that your engine is lugging, drop down a gear. It costs nothing and saves your engine, transmission, clutch and belt. After anyone has been riding for a while, you can "sense: these sort of things.
I think I remember reading in my manual that the normal shift points were 15mph, 25, 35,45,55 and 65. These are just recomendations and your own personal riding habits could differ. Nothing is set in stone, ya know.
7 speed?:)
As far as recommendations go, I feel they fall at least 5 mph under what should be "recommended".
Glider showed a site - Gearing Commander, go to that site and put in data for different wheels and tires or change speed or rpm. It will give you a lot of data.
If your bike isn't listed, look up the info in your manual and send it in. They'll verify it and you get credit. I sent in data on the '09 Dyna Superglide and the '09 Sportsters.

you could always put a tach on your bike, think i saw a small one at the dealer for around $30. going to put one on mine

I try to keep the tack at around 3k all the time. Better to keep on the higher end than the lower end. Bearings are expensive! :D Living here in Orygun, I hardly ever get into sixth gear.
Ugly John

I appreciate the feedback. It sounds like I should keep the bike at around 3000 rpm. I just thought I was winding out the gears doing 35 to 40 in second being the manual says to shift into 3rd at 30. I'm in the process of doing a Stage one. Krome Werks 3" slip-ons, Screaming Eagle A/C, Power Commander and a Dyno. I'm hoping it will be cooler and hopefully with the niew pipes, I can hear the gears winding out better and get my shifting to where I'm keeping the bike between 2500 to 3000 rpm in each gear. Again, thanks for the info.

Back