free website stats program Speed LImit 35 - What Gear Ya In. | Harley Davidson Forums

Speed LImit 35 - What Gear Ya In.

DDogg

I'm posting this under the Dyna's becase I ride a FatBob. The answers to this post will probably be different depending on your engine and mod's done. I ride 15 miles one way to work with 8 miles of the ride at 35 miles an hour speed limit. I'm usually with traffic in 3rd gear doing 35 but when traffic is moving we are doing 40 and I shift to 4th. Back and forth, back and forth. Would you just keep it in 3rd and cruse to 40 to 45? I do not have a tach. But telling what gear your in is easily done with speed. I don't want to lug the engine but at 40 to 45, it seems I'm exceeding the rpm's for 3rd gear. My bike rides great in 4th gear doing 45. But at 40mph it seems I'm lugging the engine. I hate 3rd gear. In 3rd gear, what's your crusing speed? When will you shift to 4th gear knowing your going to be kicking it back down to 3rd?

you really dont want that answer do you :newsmile03:
ok for me i ignore the HD manual as i find those speeds are way to low for the 96" motor it loves to spin.
1st - 2nd = 25-30mph
2nd - 3rd = 45-50
3rd - 4th anywhere up to 70mph
4th -5th depends on roads and how im feeling but 80 and above
and 6th for cruising
but again i ride a lot harder than most

O.K. Hobbit, another question. When coming up to a light and your in 4th gear, do you downshift to 3rd to slow down or do you come to a complete stop and then kick it down to 1st. Curious. If I'm not stopping suddenly, I'll usually let the downshifting slow the bike. But is this a good thing???

I always use my engine brakes (downshifting) unless doing an emergency stop i hate break jobs hehe. And I agree with Hobbit 2nd or 3rd at 35

DDogg- like you, I have a Fatbob and needed the same info and TQuentin1 found a posting for RPM vs speed for our 6speed trans. helped me out alot as it will you too i'm sure. Just type in RPM in search box and you'll find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the downshifting aspect I am learning some by readig this post.I didn't realize anyone coasted to a stop and then downshifted.On any manual transission I have had four wheels or two I have always downshifted according to speed to keep engine R.P.M. at a level I am comfortable with. It has always been my opinion that if you keep your engine at the proper R.P.M you can power out of a potential problem.I will use this example,if you are coasting to a stop in third gear,clutch in and look in your rear view to see a car coming way too fast how are you going to power out of it to take evasive action? JMO

Anytime you have a "sense" that your engine is lugging, drop down a gear. It costs nothing and saves your engine, transmission, clutch and belt. After anyone has been riding for a while, you can "sense: these sort of things.
I think I remember reading in my manual that the normal shift points were 15mph, 25, 35,45,55 and 65. These are just recomendations and your own personal riding habits could differ. Nothing is set in stone, ya know.

Back