free website stats program spectro | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

spectro

Great choise, I use it in my transmission as well with great results.

Just don't use it as a primary oil, Formula+ is the way to go there imho.

Take care,

I've had some problems with a slipping clutch once I switched to Spectro, switching back to Formula+ solved the issue.

Was the problem from putting spectro in the primary? your response is a little confusing to me.

thanks Charlie

J&P sells their own "labeled" syn motor oil, primary and trans oil, all made by Spectro. Is it exactly the same as what you get when you buy the Spectro labeled oil, not sure. But I know when I put on a new battery from Deka a month ago, the HD version is a Deka with just a different lable on it (and it was only $97 free shipping, no tax).

when I put on a new battery from Deka a month ago, the HD version is a Deka with just a different lable on it

Grillfish, Was it for your 2002 XL or the 2009 Road King? I just replaced the battery in my 2009 Dyna and when I checked with Deka, they didn't make exactly what came with the bike when it was new. It was strange because when I called Deka directly, they told me that they do make batteries for Harley, but their label battery for my bike has a different AH rating than the factory HD battery. Nobody at Deka could give me a straight answer as to why.

Was the problem from putting spectro in the primary?

There was a thread a few months back about this exact problem. Don't know if it would happen on all similar bikes (HP, mileage etc) but the OP had a slipping clutch when using the oil in the Primary. When he switched back to his previous brand, slipping stopped. I was surprised by the results.
I like the feel of my clutch (has a wide friction zone) so I keep using Formula + in the primary.

Grillfish, Was it for your 2002 XL or the 2009 Road King? I just replaced the battery in my 2009 Dyna and when I checked with Deka, they didn't make exactly what came with the bike when it was new. It was strange because when I called Deka directly, they told me that they do make batteries for Harley, but their label battery for my bike has a different AH rating than the factory HD battery. Nobody at Deka could give me a straight answer as to why.

For my 2009 RG.

•26 Ah @ 10hr rate
•400 CCA

ETX30L

Big Crank ETX30L Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

Big Crank is made by Deka. Perfect fit, fires right up.

Wow, you have a big battery in that bike. Mine is only 19 AH. Maybe that is it.

The factory HD rating AH is 19 but yet the Deka replacement was 17 AH. (? and could not get a straight answer)

Not to highjack the thread, but the Deka site says.. "Does not meet HD OEM specifications" for the ETX30L. Research I found, many folks use this battery and works great. I think they recently increased the CCs, as I thought it was in the 340-360 range before but not 100% sure.

EastPenn-Deka Online Parts Catalog

Was the problem from putting spectro in the primary? your response is a little confusing to me.

thanks Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Your interpretation is correct, the problem of my clutch slipping was cause by the use of Spectro heavy duty primary oil. I noticed the effect when pulling away at stop lights, 1st gear and rather heavy throttle. My bike is a bit modified towards torque (high flow air intake, low restriction exhaust with some added backpressure, SE race tuner with modified map) but it is by no means the fastest thing on the road.

The problems started after I read a bunch of positive reviews and switching to Spectro, and went away after I switched back to Formula+. I did no changes to the clutch pack or otherwise related components.

Maybe it was a bad production batch or otherwise singular incident, but I will stick with Formula+ for my next primary oil change.

Hope this info helps prevent others from having the same problems.

Take care,
Kris

Take care,

I've had some problems with a slipping clutch once I switched to Spectro, switching back to Formula+ solved the issue.

I also had the same problem with the clutch slipping. Back to Formula+ no slippage.

Take care,

We've also been keeping an eye on Spectro primary and clutch slippage. I have been using it in my '08 SG for the last 13, 500 miles (58,500 miles on bike)with no issues. We started using it in Mz Bling's '06 Sporty for the last 9,000 miles (59,000 total on bike) and she's has had slippage since. (Especially in 5th) We thought it was the 38-40oz. put in at first. Put in exactly 32oz. and worked for a little while but slippage back again. Our Indie Co. pulled everything apart last week in her clutch and everything looked fine. They cleaned everything, adjusted and put Motul 300 75/90 back in ( we had been using Motul for the 1st 50,000 miles) and she rode hard Friday, Saturday and Sunday in which everything seemed back to normal. We'll see if this is the remedy for her bike because if the Queen ain't Happy....:D

Back