free website stats program spectro | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

spectro

I've been running Spectro 6-speed, primary and 20W50 semi-synthetic since I got my Ultra in 2007.
Running Spectro 20W50 semi-synthetic even longer.

Never had any tranny noise but I like the fact the 6-speed oil is specifically for the Harley 6-speed.

Interesting that the Spectro engine oil is made for BMW bikes. Just turn the BMW container around and Spectro is listed.

I have used Spectro 6 for quite some time and it works marvously but did not remove all the 5th gear chatter. However, I installed an IDS (Isolated Drive System) and guess what? NO MORE CHATTER even when I dog it in 4th gear.

Based on Gliders recommendation, I also changed to 75W-140 Spectro 6-Speed Platinum. I would have never believed that by just changing brands of oil, it would make such a difference in transmission performance. Truly incredible. :s

I ordered two quarts of the Gl-1 Spectro from an indy for my 5spd the other week he called me and said it was in. I went to pick it up and he charged me $10/Qt. If I'd known it was going to be that cheap, I would have ordered a case!

You can not go wrong with Spectro trans and the primary oil. I have used this combination since bike was new and the ease of shifting and reduction of primary noise is amazing.

Spectro is an excellent trans oil as is red line too as a second choice. I've used them both and prefer the Spectro. Are you sure that what you're hearing is coming from the trans and not pinging or something else?

Yes, I brought it to the dealer and they gave me the usual there is a noise and it's normal.

Yes, I brought it to the dealer and they gave me the usual there is a noise and it's normal.

I had the common 5th gear chatter and the Spectro Platinum took 90% of the noise out. (You did not give much detail on the type of noise/when it happens/what gear etc)

One of the guys in our HOG group bought a new Classic. Big time noise in the tranny. Less than 100 miles!

Took it back to the dealer and that put "something" else in the tranny.
It was Harley oil, just don't know what it was but it fixed the noise.

I had the common 5th gear chatter and the Spectro Platinum took 90% of the noise out. (You did not give much detail on the type of noise/when it happens/what gear etc)

The noise is in neutral, once the transmission warms up if you leave it in neutral there is a chatter noise, pull in the clutch and it stops. I have been back to the dealer twice about it and they say, per Harley bulletin it's normal, just not on all bikes.

Great choise, I use it in my transmission as well with great results.

Just don't use it as a primary oil, Formula+ is the way to go there imho.

Take care,

I've had some problems with a slipping clutch once I switched to Spectro, switching back to Formula+ solved the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back