free website stats program spectro | Harley Davidson Forums

spectro

chuck60

I ordered the spectro 6 speed platinum 75-140 to try and help keep the chatter noise down in my 2012 flhx, I hope it works that stuff is not cheap. $20.95 per quart, I ordered two.

Spectro is an excellent trans oil as is red line too as a second choice. I've used them both and prefer the Spectro. Are you sure that what you're hearing is coming from the trans and not pinging or something else?

I went from Formula + to Syn3, because I have been convinced that synthetics out perform in most applications. But then I recalled from my Suzuki ridin' days that the friction modifiers found in motor oils do not do clutch plates any favors. I have since gone back to Formula+. In my case the clutch felt a lot smoother. I'd consider Spectro if it is strictly a gear oil with no friction modifiers.

I went from Formula + to Syn3, because I have been convinced that synthetics out perform in most applications. But then I recalled from my Suzuki ridin' days that the friction modifiers found in motor oils do not do clutch plates any favors. I have since gone back to Formula+. In my case the clutch felt a lot smoother. I'd consider Spectro if it is strictly a gear oil with no friction modifiers.

You were better off with the F+ than the Syn 3 . The syn 3 is a poor choice in either the primary and especially the trans. I assumed you were referring to the trans here about the lubricant and not the primary from what you posted but not too sure now. You are also right about the friction modifiers and wet clutches, they don't get along well. Clarify if you are speaking about primary or trans for the lubrication before we go any further. The OP was posting about trans oils.

Hmm. I think Chuck is talking about his tranny, not the Primary. The Spectro 6-spd transmission gear lube is a very good product for that application. Spectro also makes a Primary fluid for use in a wet clutch/chaincase application. I use both those products in those applications, and Mobil 1 20W50 engine oil in that application.

TQ

Thanks Glider, I see I was not clear on that. I use Formula + in the primary and trans now, and syn 3 in the engine. Prior to that i used Syn3 for everything, based on HD's specs.

I just bought two qts. the other day and That is about what I payed for it 20 something a quart. I was going to change it this spring. I thought about getting some for the primary. Just my 2 cents worth...... Bob :D

Thanks Glider, I see I was not clear on that. I use Formula + in the primary and trans now, and syn 3 in the engine. Prior to that i used Syn3 for everything, based on HD's specs.

Just a suggestion here, the syn 3 isn't the best choice for an engine either. Many better choices in the major brands that can be found in most auto supply stores. I like the Mobil 1 VTwin synthetic oil. It's a good oil and is available in most any store regardless of where you go even when on a trip if you need to add.It's also the factory fill for a lot of high end cars too.

As far as the primary oil, most any 10/30 - 10/40 DINO engine oil without the energy conserving label will do a good job there.

Back