free website stats program Spectro | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spectro

I agree. If you spend 20,000$ on a scoot. don't be cheap with the life line of the bike.:D

I applaud the efforts to search out the highest quality products to put into our machines. But when these threads wander off into how to save 5 or 10 bucks on a complete fluid change done a couple times a year, I have to laugh. C'mon, we all spent $15,000 and up if we bought new. Slightly less if we bought used. Baby your bike with the finest stuff you can get your hands on and don't sweat a couple bills here and there!

I applaud the efforts to search out the highest quality products to put into our machines. But when these threads wander off into how to save 5 or 10 bucks on a complete fluid change done a couple times a year, I have to laugh. C'mon, we all spent $15,000 and up if we bought new. Slightly less if we bought used. Baby your bike with the finest stuff you can get your hands on and don't sweat a couple bills here and there!

Have to agree, just don't pay more then you should for the same oil. Get the best quality for the lowest price. Why throw away $5 when I can use that towards something better. Sorry, I am just one of those cheap skate types, that while I will buy the premium stuff, but search around to get the best price for it (also the guy that got stranded without gas since I refused to stop at the gas station that I knew at the highest price :eam
Learned my lesson there.

Anyway, you will never regret Spectro, my Dyna never felt so smooth after I swiched.

OK Folks, I think we have whipped this horse to death! For more on all this, see these:

Engine Oil Poll - Harley Davidson Community
Trans Oil Poll - Harley Davidson Community
Primary Lube Poll - Harley Davidson Community

There is more there, like oil filter, how often, etc. Basics are:

Use premium quality synthetics in the engine and tranny, and use something in the primary that won't cause the clutch to slip!! But don't use SYN3 anywhere! Pay what you are willing to for these. Change the fluids as recommended, or more often if you want. Change engine oil and filter BEFORE laying the bike up for an extended period.

It's the Christmas and New Year Season. For those of you that can, ride SAFELY. For the rest of you, have fun with your Winter projects, and look forward to some great riding in the Spring!

Cheers!

TQ

**1000 mile service**

Switched to Mobil 1 V-twin 20w50 in the engine with HD 5 micron filter, Mobil 1 75w140 LS in the 6 speed for Texas climate, and stayed with HD Formula+ in the primary.

It's probably p$ychological, but the bike sure seems to run smoother and quieter overall.

Well so much for Spectro, I switched to their primary lube because I found an aftermarked Harley dealer several months ago. Now they dont carry it anymore. I called all the other dealers(all Metric) and none carry it for their bikes anymore, there were about 10 dealers in my area per Spectro web site and not one carries it anymore. One parts guy said it is good stuff but no one bought it.

Well so much for my experiment. Was going to change the primary in my sportster this week as I have 2500 on the spectro, wanted to compare the shavings on the plug with prior change from amsoil 20/50 with same number of miles. Wanted to have the spectro available if it proved better.

Update.

I drained the spectro primary gear lube from my 08 1200c. It had 2500 miles on the Spectro. Though I did not photo the drain plug on the prior 2 changes with Synthetic 20/50 I can see a dramatic change. The magnetic plug on the spectro had 2 to 3x the amount of stuff than it did with the 2 prior changes on the syn 20-50. I can not comment on the origial oil change at 1k with the factory fluid as I did not pay much attention to it. Bike now has 10k miles on it.

I believe the spectro failed at least based on the amount of stuff on the magnet. I am switching back to 20/50 synthetic in the primary/trans.

i unable to fine spectro 6 sp at any shops here in portland or,, but i did fine That BMW puts thier lable on the Spectro 6 sp so if you have a BMW shop you can get grear lub there
go to BMW forums they will get you up to speed

:)Hey everyone just came back from short ride.
I was looking for spectro 6-spd., mobil1 v-twin and amsoil.
So I tryed a couple of places recommended here on forum.
I decided to try the dealer (Treasure Coast Harley) Stuart, Florida.

here is what I found:

Amsoil 20w/50 _____________________$12.00 @ qt.
Mobil 1 V-twin 20w/50 ______________$12.99 @ qt.
Spectro heavy duty platinum
6-spd. trans lube GL-5 SAE 75W/140___$20.00 @ qt.
Harley Genuine Formula + ____________$7.29 @ qt.

This Sunday is fathers day (15% off) so Monday
I will be changing all 3 holes to the good stuff
hoping this will quiet the dyna down.:D:D:D

Pretty good prices actually. Nice to be able to get everything in one place!!

TQ

Back