free website stats program Spectro trans oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

Spectro trans oil change

67wizard

Copied from the Spectro site. I just changed to Spectro trans oil and now I find they recomend to change it every 5K. How do you guys feel about this?
Do you change it every 5K? Just wondering.
Thanks

Product Information

Heavy Duty Platinum 6-Speed Transmission Oil

There Is More To A Transmission Than Just Metal

As a company tenaciously focused on any improvement to the American Big Twin drivetrain, BAKER Drivetrain recognizes the fluid in the transmission is key in the performance and life of a transmission. It is a mechanical part of it as much as the gears, case, bearings, etc…so it must be of quality. The Spectro Platinum Heavy Duty 6-Speed Transmission Lubricant meets our BAKER Drivetrain quality standards for recommended transmission oil. Our standard for recommending oil is that it must have optimized properties tailored only for components in a V-Twin motorcycle transmission and it must exceed all others in excellence – like our own products do. Cheaper oils cannot provide all these qualities.

Spectro’s 6-Speed formula base is synthetic group 4 base stock which is the highest rating for a synthetic lubricant. It is pure with absolutely no petroleum product blended into it. Unlike most others, the oil carriers for the anti wear and friction modifiers are 100% synthetic making this oil truly 100% synthetic which means this fluid cannot be worn out or broken down - it can only be contaminated. For example, in a hermetically sealed application it would last for 20 years, but transmissions are far from sterile because the vent breathes air as the transmission heat cycles and the seals are not perfect. For this reason, we advise changing your oil every 5000 miles or once yearly, whichever comes first. It’s worth the investment protecting your premium transmission.

All anti-wear ingredients are additized to a factory fill specification. Additives include zinc as an anti-wear additive, phosphorous as an anti-wear and friction modifier, and sulfur as an anti-wear and friction modifier. Note; sulfur cannot be used as an additive in multi-use oils that are used in the engine sump because sulfur gets contaminated by the combustion process and eventually changes into sulfuric acid. Spectro’s special formula also protects against long term seal leaks by maintaining seal elasticity, as validated by Buna-N testing.

As drivetrain innovators we are proud to be the ones to discover, introduce, and endorse this lube. We are equally proud to announce that Spectro 75W140 is approved by BAKER Drivetrain for use in all BAKER transmission products and we reflect that by including a free bottle in our DD6 transmissions for your best performance and convenience.

I change the fluids in the engine, tranny and primary at the same time - approximately 3K-4K miles. I use the following:

Engine: Mobil 1 VTwin 20W50 engine oil
Tranny: Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil
Primary: Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil

Oil filter: HD 63798-99A filter

TQ

I change the fluids in the engine, tranny and primary at the same time - approximately 3K-4K miles. I use the following:

Engine: Mobil 1 VTwin 20W50 engine oil
Tranny: Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil
Primary: Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil

Oil filter: HD 63798-99A filter

TQ

Wow if I changed that often I would be doing it almost every two or three months. So far I use the manual as a guide.
Thanks

Engine - - - Mobil one V-Twin
Primary: Might try - - - Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil (Been using Formula +)
Trans - - - - Spectro 6 speed Was using (Red line)

Every 5,000 miles for all 3 on my bike.. Mobil 1, Spectro trans and primary oils.

I do not get as many miles as I would like, but definitely change out all three holes at winter storage. If i was REALLY enjoying myself, I have always been a fan of splitting the diff (5k is between the 3000 and 7000 we hear all about) of course the type of riding we do is a factor.

Mobile 1 V-twin
Spectro 6 speed
Spectro Heavy Duty Primary

I think it is easyer to change all 3 oils at the same time than to try and remember what oil got changed and when.

Mobile 1 V-twin 20/50
Spectro 6 speed
Spectro Heavy Duty Primary
changed every 5k

2003 FXST 95ci
ported and polished heads by RCC
Kieth Black pistons
S & S gear drive
Blackwidow 540 cam
Mikuni 42 carb
S & S exhaust
Daytona Twin Tech ignition mod.

over 80k miles and going strong.

I change oil and tranny every 2500 - 3000 miles: Mobil 1 V-Twin & Spectro Platinum 6-speed. I haven't got the courage up to try changing the primary myself yet, so it gets changed at 5K by the dealer with Formula+.

I figure the extra I pay for changing the trans fluid at that interval is cheaper than the cost of replacing the tranny. Cheap insurance.....

Back