free website stats program Spectro Trans Fluid | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spectro Trans Fluid

On the subject of the original topic- in an effort to reduce the 5th gear whine my bike has that is common to the new 6-speeds, today I changed out the Redline Shockproof Heavy and put in Spectro Platinum 75W-140 6-speed synthetic gear oil.
After about a 25 mile ride I could tell no difference at all between it and the Shockproof in the areas of whine reduction, shifting quality, and finding neutral. It works well, it just doesn't mitigate gear whine any better than any of the other gear oils I've tried. Oh well- nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I hate to say it, but the quietest my transmission has even been was when I had Formula+ in it from the factory during the 1st 1000 miles. Once it was drained out and the aftermarket gear oil was put in, the whine started.
As an experiment I may try putting Formula+ in it next go-round just to see what happens...

Oh well, I can live with the whine since I'm not in 5th a whole lot anyway. The Shockproof only had 5500 miles on it so it could've stayed in another 15,000 miles or so, but at the very least I now have new oil in my transmission. :s

FWIW- the Shockproof came out like it went in- like bright pink Pepto Bismol. Still nice & thick, and there was no debris at all on the mag plug- it was clean as a whistle. Obviously it's good stuff!

You would have a difficult time differentiating between those two oils. They are both top shelf, I have used them both and the edge goes to Spectro in the cold weather for shifting easier during warm up. The Redline was a bear for the first few blocks till it got circulated a bit but after that it did it's job well.

The biggest plus comes from just what you found about no debris on the magnet. That means it's doing it's job. If you try this with the Syn 3 from the MOCO, the magnet comes out looking like Don King's head. You can tell just by looking at the magnet how effective a gear lube is.

Your expectations about the 5 th gear whine will not be addressed with an oil. It's tolerances in the gears and the fact that they are helical gears. I don't know if you installed the IDS rear pulley yet or not on your 07, but that will address the whine and also the clattering if you have it which most do. I put it on mine and the change in the drive train is dramatic. The 5 th gear whine only can be heard very faintly if you lean over and concentrate on it. It's a major improvement.

Back