free website stats program Spectro Trans Fluid | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spectro Trans Fluid

The limited slip additive is for rear ends that have the limited slip clutch packs in them and also positraction units in cars. I wouldn't chance it in the trans in these bikes as I don't know what the additive is and it may be more harmful than good.

Glider (and anyone else)-
Did the Spectro gear oil do anything for the 5th gear whine common to the 6-speeds? Their advertising info says it cuts down on the noise, just wondering if it really does.
I'm currently running Redline Shockproof Heavy, and while it is an excellent lube it does practically nothing to mitigate the 5th gear whine.

Anyone trying to find a commercial source for the Spectro 6-speed Platinum gear oil, Dennis Kirk sells it for $17.99 a quart (ouch!) which is where I'll probably get mine since no one has it locally... :unsure

I use it in my 07 but I added the IDS also and at this point I don't have any 5th gear wine or clattering at all any more. I can't say that the Spectro did it because there was the two things I did close to each other, but it does shift better and I attribute that to the Spectro. Finding neutral is easier too. IMO, it's worth the price for a quart.

Have you done the IDS yet? THATS worth the $$$

New IDS Drive System - Harley Davidson Community

I use it in my 07 but I added the IDS also and at this point I don't have any 5th gear wine or clattering at all any more. I can't say that the Spectro did it because there was the two things I did close to each other, but it does shift better and I attribute that to the Spectro. Finding neutral is easier too. IMO, it's worth the price for a quart.

Have you done the IDS yet? THATS worth the $$$
I haven't done the IDS as I don't have any clatter with mine. I just have the 5th gear whine. I may add the IDS when I have the rear tire replaced, but that probably won't be till next year sometime...

I haven't done the IDS as I don't have any clatter with mine. I just have the 5th gear whine. I may add the IDS when I have the rear tire replaced, but that probably won't be till next year sometime...

Just curious here, what MPH do you usually shift into 6 th gear?

You're very lucky to be able to shift into 6'th at that speed without any noise.

BTW, that's a bit low for 6th, I would run 5th at that speed and keep 6th for above 65 so you aren't lugging the engine as bad. The 96 doesn't like to be lugged.

I've seen this subject discussed on every H-D site on the internet- some feel that the 96 needs to run high rpm, others feel that it's happiest at low rpm. Six of one, half dozen of another IMO. :s

I haven't had any problems with lugging. The 96 is an undersquare engine (smaller bore, longer stroke) which is a design that generally favors low-rpm use and makes better torque on the bottom end of the rpm scale than an oversquare (large bore, short stroke) engine. This is evident in the modest 5500 rpm redline our v-twins have as compared to the 14,000+ rpm of an oversquare ricer engine. This is also why H-D recommends the shift point for 6th gear at 55 mph.
I noticed that a lot of the folks (on other sites) that were proponents of high-rpm-only-in-6th-gear suddenly found themselves loving life in 6th gear at 55-60 mph after IDS. :yahoo
IDS didn't do anything to reduce the "lugging" they thought they had, it simply dampened the felt impact of the power pulses transferred to the driveline by the engine at low rpm.

My 5th gear whines like supercharger on a top-fuel dragster :49: but I don't feel actual engine lugging till it gets below 50 in 6th...

Riding it as I said gives me about 47.3 over all milage not that I care much about milage it did cost me 11 dolars to top off today and I was not empty.
Checked my mileage today- getting 40.1 mpg with a mix of highway & city driving. That's with a set of Nightrider IED's richening the fuel mixture slightly too.
Whole lot better than the 17 mpg I get with the F-150...! :s

Back