free website stats program Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6 Speed Transmission Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6 Speed Transmission Oil

oldgeezer

I serviced my bike yesterday and changed to the Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6 Speed Transmission Oil 75w-140. I was surprised at how thin the product is. It is very little thicker than automatic transmission fluid. Is this normal? I was sure I had read posts that it was thick! Just want to make sure they put the right stuff in the sealed container.

I serviced my bike yesterday and changed to the Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6 Speed Transmission Oil 75w-140. I was surprised at how thin the product is. It is very little thicker than automatic transmission fluid. Is this normal? I was sure I had read posts that it was thick! Just want to make sure they put the right stuff in the sealed container.

I just went to the garage to check. It is 40* ambient air temp. The fluid is a bright red color about the color of "Big Red" soda. It has the consistency of pancake syrup at this temp. I do not have the equipment to check the viscosity but here is the technical specs sheet on the lube from Spectro:

http://www.spectro-oils.com/pdfs/techsheets/HD Platinum 6 Speed Rv 2.pdf

You probably have some left in the bottle. If you are worried about it, find a lab that can check it against those specs.

TQ

Attachments

• HD-Platinum-6-Speed-Rv-2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
I just went to the garage to check. It is 40* ambient air temp. The fluid is a bright red color about the color of "Big Red" soda. It has the consistency of pancake syrup at this temp. I do not have the equipment to check the viscosity but here is the technical specs sheet on the lube from Spectro:

http://www.spectro-oils.com/pdfs/techsheets/HD%20Platinum%206%20Speed%20Rv%202.pdf

You probably have some left in the bottle. If you are worried about it, find a lab that can check it against those specs.

TQ

Thank you. Mine was at room temp and just seemed kind of thin. The dealer had recomended and filled the transmission with "Bel-Ray" at my 1000 mile service. It was so thick I had to wait forever for it to drain out. It was nasty looked emulsified ( red with white looking air bubbles all in it). I asked dealer if it was synthetic. He said he thought so. Its not I read the bottle. I think I'll love this spectro if it is all you guys say about it.

stuff is pretty thick even at 70 degrees after all it is a gear oil

That was his point - he expected it to be thicker than it was so he's asking if everyone else felt the same way.

I was a bit surprised when I switched to this product but it works like a charm and that's all that matters!

That was his point - he expected it to be thicker than it was so he's asking if everyone else felt the same way.

I was a bit surprised when I switched to this product but it works like a charm and that's all that matters!

and that is why i said it was pretty think at 70 degrees so no i havent noticed it seems runny

I also put Spectro 6 speed in about about two weeks ago and thought the same thing this is thin but my trans works so smooth neutral is so easy to find now up shift and down shifts are very smooth I like it. I have around 500 miles on the oil and it seems to keep getting smoother.

All I can say is I used the Spectro for 6 speeds since my 1000 mile and could not be happier with the shifting. I have a friend with a CVO Ultra and shifts way harder than mine. This is by his own admission after a recent ride. Not that there is anything wrong with his ride, just an obvious difference in shifting performance. I am way happy with spectro, mobile one and HD plus. Perfect combo IMHO. :s

I use spectro in the tranny & primary. It is a little spendy but it is worth it. Tranny isn't as noisy as it was with the SYN3.... It is deciving when you pour it in.. It looks very thin but it works gooooood.....

Smitty, what color is the redline shockproof when it's in the gearbox? I had the dealer use the shockproof this last service. It is definitely thick and looks pink. When it's hot after a long ride, it doesn't stick to the dipstick and emits a real strong HD gear oil smell. In fact, seems like I can smell it when I come to a stop light. When you look in the gearbox with a flashlight it does cover the gears very well. It's supposed to make your gears shift smoother and make it easier to find neutral. I have about 500 miles since the service and I can't notice any difference in the stock gear oil.

Back