free website stats program Spectro 6 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spectro 6

I change the motor oil (Mobile V Twin) and filter every 2500 miles. I change the tranny (Redline) and primary (HD formula +) every 5000 miles, so every other oil change is all three compartments.

One of my friends said that the engine oil was still like new at 2500 miles. I offered to dump it into a jug and give it to him. He declined. I told him "my point exactly". :lolrolling

I change all 3 oils every 5K miles. I use Amsoil 20 - 50 in the engine and primary and 75 - 90 in the tranny. I figure if I'm already out there with tools and bike why not spend a little extra $ and do all three. It only take a matter of minutes to drain and refill.

Change every 2,500 miles in the engine, 5,000 miles for the transmission (Spectro) and primary (H-D Formula Plus). After spending over $20k on the bike a few extra bucks for the piece of mind and hope for a long trouble free time together makes sense to me.

Change every 2,500 miles in the engine, 5,000 miles for the transmission (Spectro) and primary (H-D Formula Plus). After spending over $20k on the bike a few extra bucks for the piece of mind and hope for a long trouble free time together makes sense to me.

GREAT selections! :bigsmiley12:

I change all three fluids at the same time - 3,000-4,000 miles. Overkill, but worth the insurance. It is cheap insurance, believe me.

TQ
I do the same thing sort of, I go 5,000K in between oil changes. Some guys go every 2500. Is that overkill? Seems like it to me. I want to do the right thing but I don't want to service it unnecessarily if I don't have to.

It is overkill,but as anyone who knows me will tell you I ride my bike harder than most so I figure I can at least treat her well when it comes to fluids and fluid changes.:D
The dealer asked me "Do you ride the bike hard?" I said well not really. I don't beat on it or anything like that. He said that he rode his hard ( like you do) and that he too changes his at 2,500 miles. He said as long as I don't ride too hard I should be o.k. changing my oil (and the other fluids too) at 5,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I change all three fluids at the same time - 3,000-4,000 miles. Overkill, but worth the insurance. It is cheap insurance, believe me.

TQ

TQ didn't you blow-up a tranny not to long ago, that cheap insurance didn't workout so good:(. IMHO oil/grease needs to be run in/loosened up for it to work properly unless it's been hot enough to start braking it down, but maybe that's just me. I changed the tranny grease in my 89 at 20,000 and it's got 35,000 on it now without trouble. JMO

TQ didn't you blow-up a tranny not to long ago, that cheap insurance didn't workout so good:(. IMHO oil/grease needs to be run in/loosened up for it to work properly unless it's been hot enough to start braking it down, but maybe that's just me. I changed the tranny grease in my 89 at 20,000 and it's got 35,000 on it now without trouble. JMO

Yep. But what happened to my bike was not lubrication related, but rather was the result of shoddy assembly at the MoCo. The meganut could not secured/torqued correctly for the last 3-4 rounds of thread to be completely sheared off the mainshaft and wallowed out of the meganut.

Bike broke - tranny! - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Community
Bike broke - tranny! - Page 6 - Harley Davidson Community

Personal choice here, but I will continue changing my lubricating fluids ever 3-4K miles.

TQ

Back