free website stats program Spectro 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spectro 6

franka

Installed Spectro 6 today in tranny, normal routine for me is to change tranny fluid every 5,000 miles, any suggestions on how often to change Spectro?

I believe the book says every 20K, I change every other oil change so it makes it every 10K since I change oil every 5K. I use mobil one V twin full syn so I am good with 5K oil changes. If you ride big time miles, like 20K plus a year, than I would change every 20K. JMHO.

Installed Spectro 6 today in tranny, normal routine for me is to change tranny fluid every 5,000 miles, any suggestions on how often to change Spectro?

I change all three fluids at the same time - 3,000-4,000 miles. Overkill, but worth the insurance. It is cheap insurance, believe me.

TQ

I'm with you on this one,gives me peace of mind for a small amount of money.

Do you really think it is needed to change all fluids every 3-4K miles? With the new Syn oils I would think at least 5K in the crank with zero ill effect. If I am going to change every 3-4 K, is there any reason to run anything other than dyno oil? Tranny fluid seems very frequent at that interval, Just curious as if it is really overkill or if there is a reason for tranny replacement at 3-4K?

I change the engine oil (Mobile 1 V-Twin) every 3K and my tranny and primary (both Spectro) every 6K: all three bikes. Overkill, but then I change my truck differentials, transfer case, and tranny fairly regular too. I check all the fluids for metal shavings, moisture, discoloration, etc. when they are dropped.

I'm with TQ and Steve. I do all 3 every change. It assures me that the entire bike is in the best shape it can be in. Overkill ? Sure is but I wouldn't have it any other way and I have been doing it this way for many years and bikes.

The trans isn't overkill even at 5K, it's only a quart of oil so why cheap out here. It will pay dividends in the long run.

I had the same questions you had when I started sifting through posts to educate myself. Just like the replies you got, there are no really hard and fast rules in my opinion, except: using a quality synthetic lubricant is better on every level for playing the odds on keeping your ride healthy for a long time.

As far as frequency, some go by milage, some by time. If you don't put that many miles on, and lay the bike up for a long winter, change the fluids before storing the bike. Some work multiple fluid changes in for timing, ease or just routinely giveing you bike a good "look over" while the fluids are draining etc.

For me, I change the motor oil every ~3k (3's, 6's and 9's on the odometer) and the chain case and trans every 10K. But that is my riding style. Lots of highway with planned stops and starts. I have the original front tire with 34,000 miles on it and there is still plenty of tread left, so you can see I am pretty easy on wear. (My car has 130K and the original brakes, again, mostly highway, very little shifting, very little braking). I change the brake fluid and my shock oil once a year. Again, it is my money and the work is easy. Aside from the cost and the small potential for perhaps stripping a bolt (torque wrench!!) or some similar mishap during the fluid changes, there is no way I am going to believe that changing a fluid out "early" is ever bad.

Motor oil get beat up and cooked worse than all the other fluids, so 3-5K miles seems to be about the average. The rest have a pretty wide range.
(Every time I change the Specto, it looks brand new to me. Never any metal on the plug. Can't say that was true when I first got my Ultra when it had HD Syn 3 :( everywhere.

Motor oil get beat up and cooked worse than all the other fluids, so 3-5K miles seems to be about the average. The rest have a pretty wide range.
(Every time I change the Specto, it looks brand new to me. Never any metal on the plug. Can't say that was true when I first got my Ultra when it had HD Syn 3 :( everywhere.

Excellent information and you'll find that the Spectro is doing it's job when your magnet comes out clean.(unlike syn 3)

If you are servicing your bike yourself, you already have all the tools out why not just change all 3 oils. But changing all 3 the shifting and operation stays consistent. You may want to lube steering bearing also.

Back