Spectro 6-Speed

Discussion in 'Oil' started by 90FXRS, May 22, 2011.

1. 90FXRS

90FXRS Junior Member Contributor

I'm a new fan of Spectro 6-speed tranny fluid. I was running Redline and after reading a few threads posted by Glider, I decided to try Spectro this time. SO MUCH smoother and quieter. BTW....it's in a 5-speed. The GL-5 fluid is not over-kill in a 5-speed. It makes it that much better.

Glider, thanks for the threads of wisdom.

2. ckhismine

ckhismine Active Member

I think the number of speed would not be a factor. Maybe I should try it next time.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

I'm glad you tried it and are happy with the results. Thanks for posting back after trying the Spectro.

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

The 5 speed only requires GL1, the GL5 is "overkill" in the 5 speed because it contains additives that were meant for the different cut of the gears in a 6 speed trans which differ from the 5 speed.

5. bobalu

bobalu Active Member

I just switched over to Spectro 6 spd. and their Primary oil after my 1600km service. The difference was amazing! Very smooth shifting and dropping into neutral is a breeze. Huge improvement in the clutch as well. I'm going to try their full synthetic engine oil next.

6. glazier

glazier Junior Member

Is one better than the other for the 5 speed, or will they both work equally as well??? In other words, if I was changing out my tranny fluid, which would I be better off with, GL-1 or GL-5???

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

GL1 is all that is needed for the 5 speed.

8. glazier

glazier Junior Member

Maybe I'll just split the difference and go with GL-3 :D

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

While the GL5 WILL work in a 5 speed, it isn't necessary. As posted above the GL5 is for the helical cut gears in the 6 speeds and not necessary in a 5 speed even thou it will work too.

10. 90FXRS

90FXRS Junior Member Contributor

The bottle says it's for helical and straight-cut gears. Isn't the 6-speed helical and the 5-speed straight-cut?