free website stats program Speakers: Hog Tunes vs. J&M | Harley Davidson Forums

Speakers: Hog Tunes vs. J&M

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Maysflyboy and I were wandering around Destination Daytona last Friday and ended up talking at length to the J&M rep about replacement speakers for the Street Glide. The whole ride down from Atlanta I was daydreaming about how much better it would have been with some serious tunes cranking out of my fairing. The stock speakers sound OK at the gas stops and at low speeds but when you turn them way up at highway speed, they pretty much peter out and distort.

I think we both would have ridden home with new speakers except:
1) The show price was only $10 off list
2) They weren't doing on site installations

Anyway, my question is if anyone has done a serious comparison of these two speaker companies and what did you think. At this time I don't want to add an amp or mess with rear speakers. I just want to upgrade my fairing speakers. Of course, if you know of some other speakers that would work (waterproof, correct wattage and/or impedence, kick-butt sound) I'd love to hear about them too.

Thanks!

I have asked many the same question. So far HOG tunes wins, that's what will be going in my 09 SERG

I just put a set of Hogtunes in my 2000 E/G last night. They sure sound good in the shop but I haven't been on the road yet. When you compare a Hogtune to a Harley speaker you can see that Harley really skimped on speakers. They just have to be better. But honestly the only reason that I put them in was because I had to open the fairing up to hard wire my Zumo 550 gps and I also installed a Mcewen oil temp guage so I figured I miht as well pop for a set of Hogtunes while I was in there.

I put the hog tunes with the Amp in my RG 2 weeks ago & they are louder @ highway speeds with less distortion , I havent been riding to much since I put the hog tunes in & my hearing is not as good as it was when I was younger & the wind noise @ 70 to 80 mph & the engine noise makes it hard to hear anything but the Hog tunes made a big improvement , I would recommend getting the Speaker - Amp system . IMO

I also went with the Hogtunes speakers, mainly due to all the feedback from this sight.I cant speek of the J@M product but the ease of instalation and quality of sound upgrade the Hogtunes provided would be hard to beat.One other thing I did was to apply Q pads {sound dampening material} to the inside of the fairing.That also seemed to improve the sound.

I just put a set of Hogtunes in my 2000 E/G last night. They sure sound good in the shop but I haven't been on the road yet. When you compare a Hogtune to a Harley speaker you can see that Harley really skimped on speakers. They just have to be better. But honestly the only reason that I put them in was because I had to open the fairing up to hard wire my Zumo 550 gps and I also installed a Mcewen oil temp guage so I figured I miht as well pop for a set of Hogtunes while I was in there.

My strategy exactly. I'd like to only take the fairing off one time. Not sure why I'm so psyched out about removing the fairing but I am! While it's off I'm going to do the speaker upgrade, swap air temp gauge for an oil temp gauge, and install a headlight modulator. Guess I need to decide about the amp or not.

My strategy exactly. I'd like to only take the fairing off one time. Not sure why I'm so psyched out about removing the fairing but I am! While it's off I'm going to do the speaker upgrade, swap air temp gauge for an oil temp gauge, and install a headlight modulator. Guess I need to decide about the amp or not.

Just putting in the Hog-Tune speakers will give you a:D , Putting in the AMP & speakers will give you:D:D:D .Why take the bike apart twice ?:s

check into the ARC audio upgrade packages. If you would like more information pm me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back