free website stats program Spark Plugs | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark Plugs

On the subject of plugs.....What would be the 1st model year that HD began using Ion Sensing as a means of detonation sensing.
We got on the subject of spark plugs this morning and when I mentioned "Ion Sensing"and sticking with the stock plugs and wires, Folks started looking at me like I had 2 heads.

On the subject of plugs.....What would be the 1st model year that HD began using Ion Sensing as a means of detonation sensing.
We got on the subject of spark plugs this morning and when I mentioned "Ion Sensing"and sticking with the stock plugs and wires, Folks started looking at me like I had 2 heads.

ION started with the Delphi systems on the twin cams.
The reason they looked at you like that is they were uninformed :D

Thanks Glider. I was guessing that it began with the Delphi system, but I was not 100% sure.

What spark plugs are most people using? I replaced my Harley Brand plugs-6R12? with NGK standard plugs. The reason I replaced them is because the guy I bought the bike from said he had not replaced them for a while. My bike now sounds different and doesn't seem to run as good. Platinum or performance plugs the way to go I guess?
Update: I put a set of HD plugs back in and problem solved. I would never have thought it would matter that much. I sold automotive parts for 14 years. Pushed Motorcraft for Fords,AC-Delco for GM's. Champion for everything else. Used to use AC in my Sporty. They didn't foul as fast as Champions for me. Sound is back to putt-putt instead of pop-pop. Other people I realize have good results with other plugs I'm sure,but I guess my bike prefers HD plugs. They actually only cost me $2.00 more total than the NGK' did so thats fine too. Thanks again for the advice.

Change plugs based on mileage or time based on your Service manual...! Old timers checked plugs at every oil change (cleaned and regapped) or 5,000 miles and replaced at 10,000 miles...but it is purely up to you...at $5 or so most don't even bother cleaning/regapping, but why waste the plug and increase land fill problem...! Now that I have grand kids, I am thinking of conservation and pollution more seriously.

Back