Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by Eagle, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Eagle

Eagle Member

What spark plugs are most people using? I replaced my Harley Brand plugs-6R12? with NGK standard plugs. The reason I replaced them is because the guy I bought the bike from said he had not replaced them for a while. My bike now sounds different and doesn't seem to run as good. Platinum or performance plugs the way to go I guess?

2. gs34

gs34 Junior Member

Your best bet is to go with the stock HD plugs and wires.
    Do a search on this site and find out how they play into the detonation sensing in the bike electronics.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

4. eleft36

eleft36 Junior Member

Is the gap critical as well?

Al

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

Yes,As with any engine, the gap plays an important part in the overall running.

6. eleft36

eleft36 Junior Member

My reference was to the ion sensing. The article refers to resistance related to pressure.

smaller gap less resistance, does that equate to adding or removing advance by the ecm

Al

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

The larger the gap, the higher the resistance and it could set a code if it is too large of a gap. The ion sensing works primarily on a resistance principle.

Nothing to do with advance in the ecm.

[​IMG]

8. eleft36

eleft36 Junior Member

How does it prevent "pinging" through signaling processing. What gets the signal?

Al

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

The ECM gets the signal , processes it and adjusts accordingly to eliminate pinging/detonation faster than you can blink your eye.

10. Eagle

Eagle Member

So, I am assuming my bike has ION sensing? That explains why my bike sounds different. I'm putting the stock plugs back in until I make it to HD dealer. Live and learn. Thanks