free website stats program Spark Plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark Plugs

Eagle

What spark plugs are most people using? I replaced my Harley Brand plugs-6R12? with NGK standard plugs. The reason I replaced them is because the guy I bought the bike from said he had not replaced them for a while. My bike now sounds different and doesn't seem to run as good. Platinum or performance plugs the way to go I guess?

Your best bet is to go with the stock HD plugs and wires.
Do a search on this site and find out how they play into the detonation sensing in the bike electronics.

Is the gap critical as well?

Al

My reference was to the ion sensing. The article refers to resistance related to pressure.

smaller gap less resistance, does that equate to adding or removing advance by the ecm

Al

The larger the gap, the higher the resistance and it could set a code if it is too large of a gap. The ion sensing works primarily on a resistance principle.

, does that equate to adding or removing advance by the ecm

Al

Nothing to do with advance in the ecm.

IONSENSING.gif

How does it prevent "pinging" through signaling processing. What gets the signal?

Al

The ECM gets the signal , processes it and adjusts accordingly to eliminate pinging/detonation faster than you can blink your eye.

So, I am assuming my bike has ION sensing? That explains why my bike sounds different. I'm putting the stock plugs back in until I make it to HD dealer. Live and learn. Thanks

Back