free website stats program Spark Plugs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark Plugs

Never been a fan for using torque wrench on plugs...like others - old fashioned way works best (feel) & definitely fan of anti-sieze.

I don't torque mine either. Love anti-seize but never used it on my Sportster plugs as they are the short length, but for these long 6R12 saw the need right away.

Hoople has some very good info on spark plugs and ignition systems:s Spark plugs live in a very hostile place, there job to fire the combustion is 1 of its functions, it also has to seal in compression, hence the crush gasket, and displace heat. I would not re install a used plug because of the crush gaskets sealing values have changed, JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people need to use a torque wrench on plugs and do not
i do have and insert kit to replace the threads and have had to use it once or twice but not on my vehicles
i always do plugs by feel if however you are unsure use the torque wrench

Brian

Or, in a pinch, Philips Milk of Magnesia. Per the T.O. it is a MIL spec for the hot section of the J-79 jet engine from the F-4 fighter. 'Course the newer models MIL spec'd the Permatex.... :s

Thanks for the flashback! That's why I kept a bottle of Milk of Magnesia in my tool box until I found out about permatex. I also still torque everything to spec, thanks to the QC nazis!

My manual says finger tite then a quarter turn,Never heard of anti seize,but the advice on here is second to none,so now I need some anti seize myself!

My manual says finger tite then a quarter turn,Never heard of anti seize,but the advice on here is second to none,so now I need some anti seize myself!

It is called copper grease in this country you can pick it up at halfords or any good car parts place in small tubes under a brand name like coppa ease for about £4 or in a half litre tub for about £8
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=copper+grease&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CH8QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FCarlube-Copper-Grease-500ml%2Fdp%2FB004HPER6M&ei=-SFNT87OE5K7hAfpt60j&usg=AFQjCNGP5D-HGejCg9glX41FFSRSUzW9Bw

Brian

I've been told I'm wasting money but when I bring my bike out of storage for the winter to service it (oil change and such) I always install a new set of plugs (with anti seize). Its just a couple bucks and I know I have fresh ones for the riding season. But that's just me. Been doing that for years now....

Back